This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s no secret that many of us TPG readers and staff members are plane obsessed. But don’t worry, being an aviation nerd is very mainstream these days — you can follow fellow #AVGeeks on Instagram, download a variety of #AVGeek apps and Brussels Airlines even had an #AVGeek party to send a final farewell to the Avro RJ100 aircraft.
Now you can can combine your love of food and flying all in one — and I don’t just mean by maximizing airline and credit card dining programs. Here’s a list of some of the best aviation-themed restaurants around the United States so that all us #AVGeeks out there can take our aircraft obsessions (and our appetites) to the next level.
The Gist: Conveniently located next to the Wings of Honor aviation museum and the Walnut Ridge Regional Airport (ARG), this 737 Southwest airplane-turned-restaurant is a family-friendly joint serving up home-cooked food. It may be the only chance you get to have a catfish buffet on a 737, anyway. After you enjoy your meal, you can get that perfect Instagram shot of you sitting in the cockpit of a plane, or you can wander around the runway and check out some of the planes no longer in use. Oh, and don’t worry if the economy plane seats don’t have a lot of wiggle room for your coats and personal belongings because you can store your items in the overhead bins. Average price: $10-25 per person.
The Gist: Although the French chateau setting may not immediately conjure up visions of all things aviation, the 100th Bomb Group restaurant is actually located right next to the Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) with expansive views overlooking the runways. The place to dine is the Observation Deck (especially on a warm, sunny afternoon), voted one of the top 10 patios in Cleveland by The Weekender. The restaurant also has gift cards for purchase, which make for ideal stocking stuffers for your Ohio-based, aircraft-obsessed loved ones. Even better, the restaurant’s loyalty program is connected to Proud Bird’s, so you can earn and use points at both spots. Average menu price: $12-45 per person.
The Gist: This kitschy 1950s diner is located right next to the Manchester-Boston Regional Airport (MHT) and serves up classic diner items like milkshakes, fries, burgers and omelettes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can also plan a special event in their Hangar One room. With a tagline like “Good Food on the Fly,” you just can’t help but want to chow down on a juicy burger or hearty plate of pancakes post or pre-flight. Plus, it’s next to to the Holiday Inn Manchester Airport, so you can put those IHG points to good use by spending a night there. Room rates start at $125 or 25,000 IHG Reward points. Average price: $10-20 per person.
The Gist: The third in the trifecta of Proud Bird aviation restaurants, 100th Bomber, 94th Aero Squadron (just another way to earn and burn those loyalty program points) is located in a French chateau in Van Nuys, California. The spot serves up American cuisine, complete with a two-story patio and three banquet rooms for special events. The restaurant pays homage to those who have served the USA. In fact, the name 94th Aero Squadron was actually a real unit of the Air Service for the US army dating back to 1917. The restaurant and surrounding grounds are covered in aircraft replicas and memorabilia from the past 100 years. Average price: $15-40 per person.
Featured image courtesy of Proud Bird. Check out the TPG guide to getting the most for your dining-out dollar.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees