7 Aviation-Themed Restaurants Around the USA
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s no secret that many of us TPG readers and staff members are plane obsessed. But don’t worry, being an aviation nerd is very mainstream these days — you can follow fellow #AVGeeks on Instagram, download a variety of #AVGeek apps and Brussels Airlines even had an #AVGeek party to send a final farewell to the Avro RJ100 aircraft.
Now you can can combine your love of food and flying all in one — and I don’t just mean by maximizing airline and credit card dining programs. Here’s a list of some of the best aviation-themed restaurants around the United States so that all us #AVGeeks out there can take our aircraft obsessions (and our appetites) to the next level.
The Gist: Conveniently located next to the Wings of Honor aviation museum and the Walnut Ridge Regional Airport (ARG), this 737 Southwest airplane-turned-restaurant is a family-friendly joint serving up home-cooked food. It may be the only chance you get to have a catfish buffet on a 737, anyway. After you enjoy your meal, you can get that perfect Instagram shot of you sitting in the cockpit of a plane, or you can wander around the runway and check out some of the planes no longer in use. Oh, and don’t worry if the economy plane seats don’t have a lot of wiggle room for your coats and personal belongings because you can store your items in the overhead bins. Average price: $10-25 per person.
The Gist: Although the French chateau setting may not immediately conjure up visions of all things aviation, the 100th Bomb Group restaurant is actually located right next to the Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) with expansive views overlooking the runways. The place to dine is the Observation Deck (especially on a warm, sunny afternoon), voted one of the top 10 patios in Cleveland by The Weekender. The restaurant also has gift cards for purchase, which make for ideal stocking stuffers for your Ohio-based, aircraft-obsessed loved ones. Even better, the restaurant’s loyalty program is connected to Proud Bird’s, so you can earn and use points at both spots. Average menu price: $12-45 per person.
The Gist: This kitschy 1950s diner is located right next to the Manchester-Boston Regional Airport (MHT) and serves up classic diner items like milkshakes, fries, burgers and omelettes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can also plan a special event in their Hangar One room. With a tagline like “Good Food on the Fly,” you just can’t help but want to chow down on a juicy burger or hearty plate of pancakes post or pre-flight. Plus, it’s next to to the Holiday Inn Manchester Airport, so you can put those IHG points to good use by spending a night there. Room rates start at $125 or 25,000 IHG Reward points. Average price: $10-20 per person.
The Gist: The third in the trifecta of Proud Bird aviation restaurants, 100th Bomber, 94th Aero Squadron (just another way to earn and burn those loyalty program points) is located in a French chateau in Van Nuys, California. The spot serves up American cuisine, complete with a two-story patio and three banquet rooms for special events. The restaurant pays homage to those who have served the USA. In fact, the name 94th Aero Squadron was actually a real unit of the Air Service for the US army dating back to 1917. The restaurant and surrounding grounds are covered in aircraft replicas and memorabilia from the past 100 years. Average price: $15-40 per person.
Featured image courtesy of Proud Bird. Check out the TPG guide to getting the most for your dining-out dollar.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees