Enroll in a Free American Airlines Platinum Status Challenge From FoundersCard
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Deadline to Enroll: March 2, 2018 at 11:59pm CT
FoundersCard offers members many benefits, from complimentary status to discounts and much more. One of the fairly consistent benefits with FoundersCard has long been its American Airlines Platinum status challenge. And to kick off 2018, FoundersCard is offering the Platinum challenge once again.
FoundersCard members can now enroll in the status challenge for AAdvantage Platinum status. And, if successful, you’ll retain the status through January 31, 2019. Once you enroll, you’ll get Platinum status benefits for three months — from March 14 through June 12, 2018. Then, if you meet the following requirements, you’ll keep the status through January 31, 2019:
- You must enroll in the AA Business Extra Program
- You must earn $2,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) and 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) or 16 Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs).
You must enroll in the challenge by 11:59pm CT on March 2, 2018, in order to participate — so you have some time to plan your strategy. If you successfully complete the challenge by June 12, 2018, you’ll retain the status through the end of January 2019.
These are the same earning levels as the public AA status challenge offer. However, a status challenge through FoundersCard has no additional cost. If you sign up for the public status challenge through AA, it’ll cost you $200 plus an additional $300 if you want Platinum status while you’re completing the challenge — for a total of $500. The major benefit with this FoundersCard challenge is that there’s no fee to sign up and you get complimentary Platinum status while you’re completing the challenge — easily covering your first-year FoundersCard fee of $495.
Note that American only allows members to receive elite status through a challenge once every five years. But, if you’re eligible for the challenge and do meet the requirements, you could be getting tremendous value. We value AA Platinum status at $2,460, so depending on how often you fly American or other Oneworld airlines, there could be a lot of value for you here.
This is a pretty favorable offer from FoundersCard and American Airlines — and it has great timing. Now that American Airlines status expires on January 31, for AAdvantage members who didn’t re-qualify for elite status, this could be a great offer to take advantage of in order to re-qualify via a challenge. The complimentary three months of Platinum status while you’re completing the challenge really sets this promotion apart. And, if you’re able to successfully complete the challenge, you should get more than enough value out of the status to offset the cost of membership, and that’s not taking into consideration all of the other FoundersCard benefits.
If you’re not yet a FoundersCard member, you can take advantage of an exclusive offer just for TPG readers. If you sign up as a new member, you’ll get a preferred annual membership fee of $495 as well as a waived initiation fee when you apply using this link. The standard annual membership fee is $595 with an initiation fee of $95 — so you’re saving $195 right away.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.