Two New Hilton Honors Promotions That Probably Aren’t Worth It
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While the Hilton Honors program does have some valuable perks, especially for elites, that you could take advantage of, its Honors points aren’t the most useful or most rewarding. There are currently two promotions on offer from Hilton, but they’re not all that great, unfortunately.
The first promotion is offering is up to an 80% bonus when you purchase points through December 29, 2017. Here’s how the bonus breaks down based on how much you spend:
- If you purchase 10,000-19,000 points, you’ll get a 60% bonus
- If you purchase 20,000-80,000 points, you’ll get an 80% bonus
You must purchase points in increments of 1,000. In addition, you won’t get a bonus until you’ve purchased at least 10,000 points. With the 80% bonus, you’re purchasing points at a price of about 0.56 cents apiece, so you’d be paying slightly less than TPG’s most recent valuation of 0.6 cents apiece. So, you’re getting a total of 0.04 cents per point in savings by maxing out this promotion. Of course, if you have a specific redemption in mind, a minuscule bonus is better than no bonus at all.
You can purchase up to 80,000 with Hilton per calendar year. In addition, if you’re looking to take advantage of the bonus, you must purchase points by December 29 at 11:59pm ET.
In addition to the above promo, American Express is targeting members to get a 33% bonus when you transfer Amex Membership Rewards points to Hilton Honors. If you’re targeted for the offer, you’ll get 2,100 Hilton points for every 1,000 Amex points transferred through December 15, 2017.
Like the first promotion, this isn’t particularly exciting — especially if you don’t have a specific redemption in mind. Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, Hilton points are worth 0.6 cents apiece whereas Amex Membership Rewards points are worth more than double that at 1.9 cents apiece. Even with the 33% transfer bonus, you’re still losing out on some value here. Say, for example, you transfer 10,000 Amex points (worth $190), you would get 20,100 Hilton points, which are worth $121.
Of course, both of these promotions aren’t bad under every circumstance. If you have a specific redemption in mind, either (or both) of these promotions could be worth it for you. It’s never recommended to transfer points or buy points without a specific redemption in mind, as there’s no way to reverse the transfer or sell points back after they’re bought.
Featured image of the Conrad Koh Samui by Hilton.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees