This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Supreme Court has ruled that the Trump administration’s ban on travel into the US from six countries with majority-Muslim populations can go back into effect while lower courts consider several legal challenges to the federal policy.
Two justices, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor, dissented from the ruling, which overturned lower courts’ injunctions and reinstated the latest version of the White House’s ban. The Trump travel policy forbids entry by citizens of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela and Yemen. The court said the policy could take full effect, superseding its own previous compromise ruling this summer, which allowed entry by people from the six Muslim-majority nations with “bona fide” relationships to people already in the US, such as grandparents and cousins.
Two appellate courts are scheduled to hear arguments for and against the travel ban this week on an accelerated timeframe meant to allow the Supreme Court to issue its own ruling on the legality of the policy by the end of June 2018. This is the third version of the administration’s ban, which it has repeatedly tweaked to try to meet judicial muster.
Observers noted that the court’s decision to allow the full ban to take effect bodes ill for opponents of the administration’s travel policy, and is likely a sign that the Supreme Court will ultimately uphold it.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards