Supreme Court Allows Trump Travel Ban to Go Into Effect
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Supreme Court has ruled that the Trump administration’s ban on travel into the US from six countries with majority-Muslim populations can go back into effect while lower courts consider several legal challenges to the federal policy.
Two justices, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor, dissented from the ruling, which overturned lower courts’ injunctions and reinstated the latest version of the White House’s ban. The Trump travel policy forbids entry by citizens of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela and Yemen. The court said the policy could take full effect, superseding its own previous compromise ruling this summer, which allowed entry by people from the six Muslim-majority nations with “bona fide” relationships to people already in the US, such as grandparents and cousins.
Two appellate courts are scheduled to hear arguments for and against the travel ban this week on an accelerated timeframe meant to allow the Supreme Court to issue its own ruling on the legality of the policy by the end of June 2018. This is the third version of the administration’s ban, which it has repeatedly tweaked to try to meet judicial muster.
Observers noted that the court’s decision to allow the full ban to take effect bodes ill for opponents of the administration’s travel policy, and is likely a sign that the Supreme Court will ultimately uphold it.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees