This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Cathay Pacific crew reportedly saw last week’s North Korean missile reenter the earth’s atmosphere. The airline said in a statement that crew on board Flight 893 from San Francisco (SFO) to Hong Kong (HKG) reportedly saw the missile and advised Japanese Air Traffic Control.
On November 29, North Korea tested a new intercontinental ballistic missile, one it calls its “most powerful,” capable of reaching the entire East Coast of the US. After launch, the missile spent 53 minutes in the air, leaving the earth’s atmosphere before splashing into waters off the West Coast of Japan.
The A350 and its passengers were never in any danger — the missile was far enough away from the Hong Kong-bound aircraft. As a result, Cathay said that its operations were unaffected. There are no pictures or videos from the incident, and it’s unclear if any of the video captured from the A350s external cameras was saved.
Crew on board Cathay Flight 893 aren’t the only witnesses of the missile, which went off without warning. As reported by the BBC, two South Korean aircraft, which were en route to Seoul (ICN) from the US, reportedly witnessed the missile launch as well.
The rogue nation of North Korea doesn’t typically announce its missile tests, causing some concern for aircraft that may be operating in the vicinity. The BBC reports that, on the other hand, North Korea does have access to international civil aviation data so it can analyze the airspace prior to launching a missile.
Nevertheless, the mysterious nature of North Korea is a concern for commercial aviation. Earlier this year, an Air France flight passed just east of a North Korean missile test about 5-10 minutes before the projectile hit the water. As a result, the airline expanded its no-fly zone around the country.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees