Cathay Pacific Crew Reports Seeing North Korean Missile Test From the Air
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Cathay Pacific crew reportedly saw last week’s North Korean missile reenter the earth’s atmosphere. The airline said in a statement that crew on board Flight 893 from San Francisco (SFO) to Hong Kong (HKG) reportedly saw the missile and advised Japanese Air Traffic Control.
On November 29, North Korea tested a new intercontinental ballistic missile, one it calls its “most powerful,” capable of reaching the entire East Coast of the US. After launch, the missile spent 53 minutes in the air, leaving the earth’s atmosphere before splashing into waters off the West Coast of Japan.
The A350 and its passengers were never in any danger — the missile was far enough away from the Hong Kong-bound aircraft. As a result, Cathay said that its operations were unaffected. There are no pictures or videos from the incident, and it’s unclear if any of the video captured from the A350s external cameras was saved.
Crew on board Cathay Flight 893 aren’t the only witnesses of the missile, which went off without warning. As reported by the BBC, two South Korean aircraft, which were en route to Seoul (ICN) from the US, reportedly witnessed the missile launch as well.
The rogue nation of North Korea doesn’t typically announce its missile tests, causing some concern for aircraft that may be operating in the vicinity. The BBC reports that, on the other hand, North Korea does have access to international civil aviation data so it can analyze the airspace prior to launching a missile.
Nevertheless, the mysterious nature of North Korea is a concern for commercial aviation. Earlier this year, an Air France flight passed just east of a North Korean missile test about 5-10 minutes before the projectile hit the water. As a result, the airline expanded its no-fly zone around the country.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees