This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
World of Hyatt is changing for the better come January 1, 2018, bringing one component of the chain’s loyalty program in line with the competition and improving a second as well.
Two changes go into effect on New Year’s Day:
- All free night awards will count toward elite status
- Free nights issued after achieving status levels will expire after 180 days, up from 120
That first bullet was a Hyatt loyalist pain point for many years. It’s better late than never, I guess, but Starwood Preferred Guest has counted award stays toward status since 2011, for example — and six years is a lifetime when it comes to loyalty programs matching competitor benefits.
The second adjustment is a welcome change for sure, but Hyatt was already ahead of the curve with its new elite free night certificates — you get one valid at Category 1-4 properties after reaching the Explorist level, which requires 30 nights or 50,000 base points in a calendar year, plus a second valid at Category 1-7 properties after reaching the Globalist level, which requires 60 nights or 100,000 base points. Free night certificates earned in 2018 will expire after 180 days, instead of 120.
World of Hyatt’s new management has confirmed that moving forward the chain’s goal is to improve the program with positive enhancements — as of now, there aren’t any devaluations on the horizon, and there’s no question that today’s announcement represents a change for the better.
Featured image of TPG at the Park Hyatt Maldives.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel