This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
World of Hyatt is changing for the better come January 1, 2018, bringing one component of the chain’s loyalty program in line with the competition and improving a second as well.
Two changes go into effect on New Year’s Day:
- All free night awards will count toward elite status
- Free nights issued after achieving status levels will expire after 180 days, up from 120
That first bullet was a Hyatt loyalist pain point for many years. It’s better late than never, I guess, but Starwood Preferred Guest has counted award stays toward status since 2011, for example — and six years is a lifetime when it comes to loyalty programs matching competitor benefits.
The second adjustment is a welcome change for sure, but Hyatt was already ahead of the curve with its new elite free night certificates — you get one valid at Category 1-4 properties after reaching the Explorist level, which requires 30 nights or 50,000 base points in a calendar year, plus a second valid at Category 1-7 properties after reaching the Globalist level, which requires 60 nights or 100,000 base points. Free night certificates earned in 2018 will expire after 180 days, instead of 120.
World of Hyatt’s new management has confirmed that moving forward the chain’s goal is to improve the program with positive enhancements — as of now, there aren’t any devaluations on the horizon, and there’s no question that today’s announcement represents a change for the better.
Featured image of TPG at the Park Hyatt Maldives.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that