This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
World of Hyatt is changing for the better come January 1, 2018, bringing one component of the chain’s loyalty program in line with the competition and improving a second as well.
Two changes go into effect on New Year’s Day:
- All free night awards will count toward elite status
- Free nights issued after achieving status levels will expire after 180 days, up from 120
That first bullet was a Hyatt loyalist pain point for many years. It’s better late than never, I guess, but Starwood Preferred Guest has counted award stays toward status since 2011, for example — and six years is a lifetime when it comes to loyalty programs matching competitor benefits.
The second adjustment is a welcome change for sure, but Hyatt was already ahead of the curve with its new elite free night certificates — you get one valid at Category 1-4 properties after reaching the Explorist level, which requires 30 nights or 50,000 base points in a calendar year, plus a second valid at Category 1-7 properties after reaching the Globalist level, which requires 60 nights or 100,000 base points. Free night certificates earned in 2018 will expire after 180 days, instead of 120.
World of Hyatt’s new management has confirmed that moving forward the chain’s goal is to improve the program with positive enhancements — as of now, there aren’t any devaluations on the horizon, and there’s no question that today’s announcement represents a change for the better.
Featured image of TPG at the Park Hyatt Maldives.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees