American Adds the Ability for Some of Its Highest Elites to Gift Executive Platinum Status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines’ Concierge Key is the somewhat mysterious, invitation-only level of elite status that’s the carrier’s top option. And while you can’t actively seek out Concierge Key status by attaining a certain number of Elite Qualifying Miles or Elite Qualifying Dollars, the status comes with top-level perks such as meet and greet at the tarmac, free Admirals Club membership, priority boarding, top upgrade priority, exclusive event invites and more. For 2018, AA is adding one more benefit for select Concierge Key members: the ability to gift Executive Platinum status.
Some AAdvantage members who qualified for Concierge Key in 2018 have reported receiving word of the new benefit in their welcome email. According to the wording of the email, some Concierge Key members are being allowed to gift the airline’s highest attainable level of status to another AAdvantage member.
With the benefit for some Concierge Key members to gift Executive Platinum status to other AAdvantage members comes the possible devaluation of Executive Platinum status as a whole. Presumably, there will now be more top-tier AA elites, meaning that securing upgrades with increased competition for the space will become more difficult. On the other hand, it makes sense for AA to allow its most valuable members the opportunity to gift the highest level of attainable status.
It’s not clear how AA is targeting which CK members are allowed to gift status. As a reminder, Executive Platinum status comes with complimentary upgrades on all all short- and medium-haul flights, systemwide upgrades, priority check-in, security and boarding and more. In TPG’s 2017 analysis, Executive Platinum status is valued at $7,420.
Featured image by Robert Alexander / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.