American Adds the Ability for Some of Its Highest Elites to Gift Executive Platinum Status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines’ Concierge Key is the somewhat mysterious, invitation-only level of elite status that’s the carrier’s top option. And while you can’t actively seek out Concierge Key status by attaining a certain number of Elite Qualifying Miles or Elite Qualifying Dollars, the status comes with top-level perks such as meet and greet at the tarmac, free Admirals Club membership, priority boarding, top upgrade priority, exclusive event invites and more. For 2018, AA is adding one more benefit for select Concierge Key members: the ability to gift Executive Platinum status.
Some AAdvantage members who qualified for Concierge Key in 2018 have reported receiving word of the new benefit in their welcome email. According to the wording of the email, some Concierge Key members are being allowed to gift the airline’s highest attainable level of status to another AAdvantage member.
With the benefit for some Concierge Key members to gift Executive Platinum status to other AAdvantage members comes the possible devaluation of Executive Platinum status as a whole. Presumably, there will now be more top-tier AA elites, meaning that securing upgrades with increased competition for the space will become more difficult. On the other hand, it makes sense for AA to allow its most valuable members the opportunity to gift the highest level of attainable status.
It’s not clear how AA is targeting which CK members are allowed to gift status. As a reminder, Executive Platinum status comes with complimentary upgrades on all all short- and medium-haul flights, systemwide upgrades, priority check-in, security and boarding and more. In TPG’s 2017 analysis, Executive Platinum status is valued at $7,420.
Featured image by Robert Alexander / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees