Two Le Parker Méridien Properties to Leave Starwood Preferred Guest
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starwood Preferred Guest is losing two properties that have been part of its portfolio since 2008 — Le Parker Méridien New York and Le Parker Méridien Palm Springs. Effective January 3, 2018, the two Category 6 properties will no longer be valid for points earning or redeeming, stays won’t qualify for elite status and elites won’t get SPG benefits.
As Points, Miles and Martinis points out, it’s unclear why these two properties — both Le Parker Méridiens — are leaving SPG. However, in 2013, both properties were sued by Starwood, with the company claiming that more than $1 million was reimbursed to the hotels as the result of fraudulent practices, including falsified records. More specifically, SPG pays its hotels to offer award nights when they’re near booked. So, according to the lawsuit, the properties made it look like there were more bookings than there actually were in an effort to get more money from SPG — more than $1 million.
We reached out to SPG for comment but have yet to hear back.
Both properties confirmed that they’ll be departing the SPG program as of January 3. A representative from the Palm Springs location said that the property will now be a member of Leading Hotels of the World.
If you have a reservation after January 3, 2018, at either of the properties, it’s up to the property whether you’ll get any elite benefits that are typically granted when you stay at an SPG property. When attempting to book at stay at either property after January 3, 2018, through SPG, you’ll likely get an error message, showing that it’s not available.
However, a Le Parker Méridien representative confirmed that you can use your Starpoints through January 3, 2018 — even if the stay occurs after that date. The rep said that the hotel may honor your elite benefits, but there is no guarantee.
If you have a reservation with either of the properties after January 3, 2018, call SPG to find out what your options are.
Featured image of Le Parker Méridien Palm Springs by Starwood Hotels.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees