United’s Partying Like It’s 1970 to Say Goodbye to the 747
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In case you haven’t heard, United’s retiring its 747s. Today. Yes, it’s really, really happening. To celebrate the airline’s long history with the Queen of the Skies, it’s throwing a retro-themed party on Tuesday at the San Francisco airport to send the aircraft off in style, on flight UA747 (yes, that’s intentional) to Honolulu.
Both myself and TPG Editor-at-Large Zach Honig are here at SFO to bring you all the details. We’ll be boarding the flight soon, but now let’s take a look at how United pulled out all the stops to celebrate the last flight of its iconic jumbo jet.
Gate 86 at SFO’s Terminal 3 has been packed since 8 o’clock Tuesday morning with throngs of United employees (even the airline’s CEO Oscar Munoz was in attendance), AvGeeks, travel writers and probably some people who just like a party, all excited to fly the Queen of the Skies just one more time before she’s brought to the desert for retirement.
This probably doesn’t come as a surprise to anyone, but United’s famous 18-million miler is on board the flight, and he shared that this specific flight would push him over the top of yet another million miles with the carrier.
The flight attendants working the flight nailed the theme — today’s uniforms are totally groovy outfits that look like they’d be right at home in the early ’70s.
Passengers got decked out too — some chose to dress in Hawaiian theme, to celebrate United’s first, and last, 747 destination — HNL — while others chose to adhere to the fashion of the decade.
Also on display was a giant timeline wall, which displayed pictures and milestones of UA’s Queen of the Skies.
United had a giant-sized card for the 747, where all in attendance could write a note to the aircraft if they wished.
Some were very sentimental:
It wouldn’t be a party without cake, and United had two large ones ready.
The day’s just getting started, and soon we’ll be on our way to Honolulu. Stay tuned to TPG for more coverage of United flight 747.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees