Podcast: How TPG Jumped From Investment Banking to Full-Time Travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How well do you know the TPG story?
The fundamentals are fascinating: Brian Kelly, aka The Points Guy, got started in the points and miles game when he was just 10 years old helping out as his dad’s travel agent. Fast forward to his mid-twenties and he found himself working as a buyer at Lord & Taylor. Not happy with the career path and the pay, TPG headed for investment banking — but that still didn’t fulfill him. After a few years in HR at Morgan Stanley and raking in the points for all his work-related travel, TPG started an award-booking service that would one day become ThePointsGuy.com.
Early on, TPG would consult with clients for the low cost of $50 to help book award tickets. But after some time and switching from consulting to blogging, things started to take off. And when he was recognized at a cocktail party as “The Points Guy,” he knew he had to “make the jump.”
That’s where the When To Jump podcast comes in, a program started by Mike Lewis in which he interviews public figures, academics, executives, and everyday people about their experiences taking the plunge. When to Jump is a community dedicated to exploring a question many of us think about: When is the right time to go do what you really want to be doing?
Lewis interviewed TPG about his experience getting into award travel — and what prompted him to make that crucial decision of leaving a safe and lucrative career in finance to running a points-and-miles blog full time. The full podcast, 30 minutes long, can be played below.
You’ll hear some fun stories of a young and broke TPG hustling his way through New York City (including posing as a wine expert) to his rise as one of the top bloggers in the biz.
When To Jump will be releasing the book, When to Jump: If The Job You Have Isn’t The Life You Want in early 2018. It will contain more about TPG’s story and other top influencers, like Sheryl Sandberg and Arianna Huffington, and when they decided to make the jump.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees