Kansas City Building a New Billion-Dollar Terminal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The debate is officially over. According to USA Today, Kansas City International Airport (MCI) is getting a new $1 billion terminal. The city approved the plan with a “3-to-1 margin” on Tuesday.
The current airport’s design includes three terminals dating back 45 years which apparently do not meet today’s security requirements. The new version will feature only one terminal, providing more space for “larger jets” along with updated security that meets all regulations.
USA Today says those in favor of the replacement think the new design will not only allow for more direct flights (currently only Delta, United, and Southwest provide direct flights while Spirit and American Airlines offer connecting flights) but also will brighten travelers’ overall view of the city. The new design plans for more retail shops as well.
The Kansas City Star reported the project won’t begin until next fall. City Manager Troy Schulte expects the terminal to be working by 2021.
Maryland’s own Edgemoor Infrastructure & Real Estate, the mastermind behind the new terminal, will create “an H-shaped structure with two concourses and 35 gates.”
The other two terminals will likely be replaced with parking and valet amenities.
H/T: USA Today
Featured image by The Kansas City Star
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.