Kansas City Building a New Billion-Dollar Terminal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The debate is officially over. According to USA Today, Kansas City International Airport (MCI) is getting a new $1 billion terminal. The city approved the plan with a “3-to-1 margin” on Tuesday.
The current airport’s design includes three terminals dating back 45 years which apparently do not meet today’s security requirements. The new version will feature only one terminal, providing more space for “larger jets” along with updated security that meets all regulations.
USA Today says those in favor of the replacement think the new design will not only allow for more direct flights (currently only Delta, United, and Southwest provide direct flights while Spirit and American Airlines offer connecting flights) but also will brighten travelers’ overall view of the city. The new design plans for more retail shops as well.
The Kansas City Star reported the project won’t begin until next fall. City Manager Troy Schulte expects the terminal to be working by 2021.
Maryland’s own Edgemoor Infrastructure & Real Estate, the mastermind behind the new terminal, will create “an H-shaped structure with two concourses and 35 gates.”
The other two terminals will likely be replaced with parking and valet amenities.
H/T: USA Today
Featured image by The Kansas City Star
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees