Kansas City Building a New Billion-Dollar Terminal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The debate is officially over. According to USA Today, Kansas City International Airport (MCI) is getting a new $1 billion terminal. The city approved the plan with a “3-to-1 margin” on Tuesday.
The current airport’s design includes three terminals dating back 45 years which apparently do not meet today’s security requirements. The new version will feature only one terminal, providing more space for “larger jets” along with updated security that meets all regulations.
USA Today says those in favor of the replacement think the new design will not only allow for more direct flights (currently only Delta, United, and Southwest provide direct flights while Spirit and American Airlines offer connecting flights) but also will brighten travelers’ overall view of the city. The new design plans for more retail shops as well.
The Kansas City Star reported the project won’t begin until next fall. City Manager Troy Schulte expects the terminal to be working by 2021.
Maryland’s own Edgemoor Infrastructure & Real Estate, the mastermind behind the new terminal, will create “an H-shaped structure with two concourses and 35 gates.”
The other two terminals will likely be replaced with parking and valet amenities.
H/T: USA Today
Featured image by The Kansas City Star
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.