This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking to book an Emirates award via Japan Airlines Mileage Bank, be prepared to fork over significantly more cash in the form of surcharges. As of November 22, 2017, JAL has begun charging what is frankly an absurd amount of added charges for Emirates awards booked through Mileage Bank.
As reported by One Mile at a Time, prior to November 22, 2017, the JAL partner award chart showed that Emirates awards had maximum fuel surcharges of $78.20. However, the same award chart shows that Emirates redemptions now have maximum fuel surcharges of $1,716.09 as of November 22. In all, that’s nearly a 3,000% increase.
Before looking into booking an Emirates award via JAL, you can use ITA Matrix to see how much you’ll be paying in surcharges. Search for the flight you’re looking to book. Ignore the cash value for the base fare of the ticket, as you’ll be using points or miles to cover the cost of that. But, pay attention to the surcharges, such as this example that carriers more than $1,600 in fuel surcharges alone:
Ultimately, this is a disappointing change from JAL. Mileage Bank has long been one of the best ways to redeem for premium Emirates flights. However, with the higher cap on surcharges, it’s likely to be less appealing for many. Note that likely not all surcharges will be this high — economy tickets we’ve seen have had lower amounts of added fees.
JAL is a transfer partner of Starwood Preferred Guest. You can transfer your Starpoints at a 1:1 ratio, however, the transfer time can take upwards of a couple of days. At this time the redemption rates for award tickets isn’t changing, but be aware that you could be paying a lot more out of pocket to use your miles to book an Emirates flight.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees