Japan Airlines Adds Huge Surcharges to Emirates Awards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking to book an Emirates award via Japan Airlines Mileage Bank, be prepared to fork over significantly more cash in the form of surcharges. As of November 22, 2017, JAL has begun charging what is frankly an absurd amount of added charges for Emirates awards booked through Mileage Bank.
As reported by One Mile at a Time, prior to November 22, 2017, the JAL partner award chart showed that Emirates awards had maximum fuel surcharges of $78.20. However, the same award chart shows that Emirates redemptions now have maximum fuel surcharges of $1,716.09 as of November 22. In all, that’s nearly a 3,000% increase.
Before looking into booking an Emirates award via JAL, you can use ITA Matrix to see how much you’ll be paying in surcharges. Search for the flight you’re looking to book. Ignore the cash value for the base fare of the ticket, as you’ll be using points or miles to cover the cost of that. But, pay attention to the surcharges, such as this example that carriers more than $1,600 in fuel surcharges alone:
Ultimately, this is a disappointing change from JAL. Mileage Bank has long been one of the best ways to redeem for premium Emirates flights. However, with the higher cap on surcharges, it’s likely to be less appealing for many. Note that likely not all surcharges will be this high — economy tickets we’ve seen have had lower amounts of added fees.
JAL is a transfer partner of Starwood Preferred Guest. You can transfer your Starpoints at a 1:1 ratio, however, the transfer time can take upwards of a couple of days. At this time the redemption rates for award tickets isn’t changing, but be aware that you could be paying a lot more out of pocket to use your miles to book an Emirates flight.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.