This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking to book an Emirates award via Japan Airlines Mileage Bank, be prepared to fork over significantly more cash in the form of surcharges. As of November 22, 2017, JAL has begun charging what is frankly an absurd amount of added charges for Emirates awards booked through Mileage Bank.
As reported by One Mile at a Time, prior to November 22, 2017, the JAL partner award chart showed that Emirates awards had maximum fuel surcharges of $78.20. However, the same award chart shows that Emirates redemptions now have maximum fuel surcharges of $1,716.09 as of November 22. In all, that’s nearly a 3,000% increase.
Before looking into booking an Emirates award via JAL, you can use ITA Matrix to see how much you’ll be paying in surcharges. Search for the flight you’re looking to book. Ignore the cash value for the base fare of the ticket, as you’ll be using points or miles to cover the cost of that. But, pay attention to the surcharges, such as this example that carriers more than $1,600 in fuel surcharges alone:
Ultimately, this is a disappointing change from JAL. Mileage Bank has long been one of the best ways to redeem for premium Emirates flights. However, with the higher cap on surcharges, it’s likely to be less appealing for many. Note that likely not all surcharges will be this high — economy tickets we’ve seen have had lower amounts of added fees.
JAL is a transfer partner of Starwood Preferred Guest. You can transfer your Starpoints at a 1:1 ratio, however, the transfer time can take upwards of a couple of days. At this time the redemption rates for award tickets isn’t changing, but be aware that you could be paying a lot more out of pocket to use your miles to book an Emirates flight.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees