Japan Airlines Adds Huge Surcharges to Emirates Awards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking to book an Emirates award via Japan Airlines Mileage Bank, be prepared to fork over significantly more cash in the form of surcharges. As of November 22, 2017, JAL has begun charging what is frankly an absurd amount of added charges for Emirates awards booked through Mileage Bank.
As reported by One Mile at a Time, prior to November 22, 2017, the JAL partner award chart showed that Emirates awards had maximum fuel surcharges of $78.20. However, the same award chart shows that Emirates redemptions now have maximum fuel surcharges of $1,716.09 as of November 22. In all, that’s nearly a 3,000% increase.
Before looking into booking an Emirates award via JAL, you can use ITA Matrix to see how much you’ll be paying in surcharges. Search for the flight you’re looking to book. Ignore the cash value for the base fare of the ticket, as you’ll be using points or miles to cover the cost of that. But, pay attention to the surcharges, such as this example that carriers more than $1,600 in fuel surcharges alone:
Ultimately, this is a disappointing change from JAL. Mileage Bank has long been one of the best ways to redeem for premium Emirates flights. However, with the higher cap on surcharges, it’s likely to be less appealing for many. Note that likely not all surcharges will be this high — economy tickets we’ve seen have had lower amounts of added fees.
JAL is a transfer partner of Starwood Preferred Guest. You can transfer your Starpoints at a 1:1 ratio, however, the transfer time can take upwards of a couple of days. At this time the redemption rates for award tickets isn’t changing, but be aware that you could be paying a lot more out of pocket to use your miles to book an Emirates flight.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees