Marriott Launches Its Own Shopping Portal, Marriott Rewards MORE
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Marriott is launching a new way for Marriott Rewards members to earn and redeem their points on everyday purchases. As of Tuesday, Marriott Rewards members can make use of the Marriott Rewards MORE portal to either earn points on your purchases or redeem your points for purchases at select retailers.
Marriott Rewards MORE is Marriott’s version of a shopping portal — something that’s common for airlines across the US and the world. Making your purchases through a shopping portal is a good idea in order to earn the bonus points to be used toward future redemptions. The highlight of the MORE program is not only that you can redeem your points for purchases, but also that you can earn points on your purchases.
The number of points you’ll earn per dollar varies by retailer. For example, you’ll earn 1 point per dollar at Apple but 5 points per dollar at Macy’s. In addition, Marriott is sweetening the offer for launch. You’ll earn 1,000 bonus points when you complete your first purchase of $25 or more. In addition, if you have a Marriott Rewards Credit Card, you’ll earn 25% bonus points on the cash portion of the purchase
Keep in mind that unlike with shopping portals of airlines, the Marriott Rewards MORE portal requires that you install an extension toolbar on your browser. You’ll automatically be prompted to install it when you attempt to shop at a retailer. The extension makes it easier to see what you’ll be earning or spending in order to make a redemption for a purchase. For example, when I went to make a sample purchase with Nike, the extension informed me that I would either earn 3 points per dollar or could redeem my points at a value of 0.37 cents per dollar:
As you’ll notice, you’re getting a pretty terrible value out of your points if you choose to redeem them for purchases through the Marriott Rewards MORE portal. You’re getting about 0.37 cents per point in value. As a point of comparison, TPG values Marriott Rewards points at 0.9 cents apiece in his most recent valuations, meaning you could be getting far more value out of your points if you redeem them for hotel stays or transfer to SPG.
Clearly the value with this MORE portal lies in the sense that you can earn Marriott Rewards points for future redemptions. The new feature from Marriott is initially available only in the US, UK and Canada.
For launch, the following retailers are available on the MORE platform to earn or redeem Marriott Rewards points: Addition Elle, Amazon, Ann Taylor, Anthropologie, Apple, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Converse, FTD, Gap, Joma Shop, Land’s End, Liftopia, Loft, Macy’s, Mr. Porter, Net-A-Porter, Nike, Nordstrom, The Outnet, Petco, QVC, Ralph Lauren, Saks Fifth Avenue, Sephora, Shop Marriott, Sunglass Hut, Walgreens and Wayfair.
This is a great addition from Marriott, allowing Rewards members to earn (and redeem, although you won’t be getting the best value) points on your purchases. In general, making your purchases through a shopping portal is a great way to earn valuable points and/or miles for future redemptions, and now Marriott is another option in that market.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.