This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Marriott is launching a new way for Marriott Rewards members to earn and redeem their points on everyday purchases. As of Tuesday, Marriott Rewards members can make use of the Marriott Rewards MORE portal to either earn points on your purchases or redeem your points for purchases at select retailers.
Marriott Rewards MORE is Marriott’s version of a shopping portal — something that’s common for airlines across the US and the world. Making your purchases through a shopping portal is a good idea in order to earn the bonus points to be used toward future redemptions. The highlight of the MORE program is not only that you can redeem your points for purchases, but also that you can earn points on your purchases.
The number of points you’ll earn per dollar varies by retailer. For example, you’ll earn 1 point per dollar at Apple but 5 points per dollar at Macy’s. In addition, Marriott is sweetening the offer for launch. You’ll earn 1,000 bonus points when you complete your first purchase of $25 or more. In addition, if you have a Marriott Rewards Credit Card, you’ll earn 25% bonus points on the cash portion of the purchase
Keep in mind that unlike with shopping portals of airlines, the Marriott Rewards MORE portal requires that you install an extension toolbar on your browser. You’ll automatically be prompted to install it when you attempt to shop at a retailer. The extension makes it easier to see what you’ll be earning or spending in order to make a redemption for a purchase. For example, when I went to make a sample purchase with Nike, the extension informed me that I would either earn 3 points per dollar or could redeem my points at a value of 0.37 cents per dollar:
As you’ll notice, you’re getting a pretty terrible value out of your points if you choose to redeem them for purchases through the Marriott Rewards MORE portal. You’re getting about 0.37 cents per point in value. As a point of comparison, TPG values Marriott Rewards points at 0.9 cents apiece in his most recent valuations, meaning you could be getting far more value out of your points if you redeem them for hotel stays or transfer to SPG.
Clearly the value with this MORE portal lies in the sense that you can earn Marriott Rewards points for future redemptions. The new feature from Marriott is initially available only in the US, UK and Canada.
For launch, the following retailers are available on the MORE platform to earn or redeem Marriott Rewards points: Addition Elle, Amazon, Ann Taylor, Anthropologie, Apple, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Converse, FTD, Gap, Joma Shop, Land’s End, Liftopia, Loft, Macy’s, Mr. Porter, Net-A-Porter, Nike, Nordstrom, The Outnet, Petco, QVC, Ralph Lauren, Saks Fifth Avenue, Sephora, Shop Marriott, Sunglass Hut, Walgreens and Wayfair.
This is a great addition from Marriott, allowing Rewards members to earn (and redeem, although you won’t be getting the best value) points on your purchases. In general, making your purchases through a shopping portal is a great way to earn valuable points and/or miles for future redemptions, and now Marriott is another option in that market.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees