Marriott Launches Its Own Shopping Portal, Marriott Rewards MORE
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Marriott is launching a new way for Marriott Rewards members to earn and redeem their points on everyday purchases. As of Tuesday, Marriott Rewards members can make use of the Marriott Rewards MORE portal to either earn points on your purchases or redeem your points for purchases at select retailers.
Marriott Rewards MORE is Marriott’s version of a shopping portal — something that’s common for airlines across the US and the world. Making your purchases through a shopping portal is a good idea in order to earn the bonus points to be used toward future redemptions. The highlight of the MORE program is not only that you can redeem your points for purchases, but also that you can earn points on your purchases.
The number of points you’ll earn per dollar varies by retailer. For example, you’ll earn 1 point per dollar at Apple but 5 points per dollar at Macy’s. In addition, Marriott is sweetening the offer for launch. You’ll earn 1,000 bonus points when you complete your first purchase of $25 or more. In addition, if you have a Marriott Rewards Credit Card, you’ll earn 25% bonus points on the cash portion of the purchase
Keep in mind that unlike with shopping portals of airlines, the Marriott Rewards MORE portal requires that you install an extension toolbar on your browser. You’ll automatically be prompted to install it when you attempt to shop at a retailer. The extension makes it easier to see what you’ll be earning or spending in order to make a redemption for a purchase. For example, when I went to make a sample purchase with Nike, the extension informed me that I would either earn 3 points per dollar or could redeem my points at a value of 0.37 cents per dollar:
As you’ll notice, you’re getting a pretty terrible value out of your points if you choose to redeem them for purchases through the Marriott Rewards MORE portal. You’re getting about 0.37 cents per point in value. As a point of comparison, TPG values Marriott Rewards points at 0.9 cents apiece in his most recent valuations, meaning you could be getting far more value out of your points if you redeem them for hotel stays or transfer to SPG.
Clearly the value with this MORE portal lies in the sense that you can earn Marriott Rewards points for future redemptions. The new feature from Marriott is initially available only in the US, UK and Canada.
For launch, the following retailers are available on the MORE platform to earn or redeem Marriott Rewards points: Addition Elle, Amazon, Ann Taylor, Anthropologie, Apple, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Converse, FTD, Gap, Joma Shop, Land’s End, Liftopia, Loft, Macy’s, Mr. Porter, Net-A-Porter, Nike, Nordstrom, The Outnet, Petco, QVC, Ralph Lauren, Saks Fifth Avenue, Sephora, Shop Marriott, Sunglass Hut, Walgreens and Wayfair.
This is a great addition from Marriott, allowing Rewards members to earn (and redeem, although you won’t be getting the best value) points on your purchases. In general, making your purchases through a shopping portal is a great way to earn valuable points and/or miles for future redemptions, and now Marriott is another option in that market.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees