Iberia Adds Status Match in the Wake of Air Berlin Shut Down
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of our favorite ways to earn elite status quickly is through a status match. If you’re used to being spoiled as an elite on one airline, it can be rough to go back to the ground floor on another airline or alliance. Status matches allow you to jump to a new airline while still retaining key perks like lounge access, free checked luggage and bonus miles. It’s a win-win: airlines get a valuable new customer while that customer is able to enjoy perks right off the bat.
So perhaps it’s no surprise that in the wake of the pending Air Berlin shut down, Iberia is ready to pick up some valuable new customers orphaned by the soon-to-be-defunct German carrier. It’s offering a status match to fellow Oneworld elites at Air Berlin, but it’s not stopping there. The same offer is also valid for elites with Star Alliance member Lufthansa.
Unfortunately, this status match doesn’t seem to allow you to match to the airline’s top-tier “Platino” level, which comes with Oneworld Emerald status. The highest match showing on the website is “Oro,” which comes with mid-tier Sapphire status at other Oneworld airlines.
|Current Program||Current Status||Matched Status||Oneworld Status|
|Air Berlin Topbonus||Silver||Iberia Plata||Ruby|
|Air Berlin Topbonus||Gold or Platinum||Iberia Oro||Sapphire|
|Lufthansa Miles&More||Frequent Traveller||Iberia Plata||Ruby|
|Lufthansa Miles&More||Senator or HON Circle||Iberia Oro||Sapphire|
Here’s how to complete the Iberia process:
- Download either the Spanish or German PDF. The status match isn’t available in English.
- Fill in your details.
- If you have been recommended by another customer, include your Iberia Plus number in the form. Both the referrer and you will get 1,000 Avios each just to match your category.
- Take a picture of your current card.
- Send the form and the photo to email@example.com.
- You should receive an email response “in a few days… confirming the registration in Iberia Plus and the assigned level.”
Not an Air Berlin or Lufthansa elite? Here’s our list of all current status match and status challenge options we know about. It’s important to have a game plan to leverage your current elite status, especially if you’re not going to be re-qualifying in 2017.
Will you be taking advantage of this status match?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®. And if you fly, you can receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year after you select a qualifying airline and incidental fees are charged by the airline to your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 back each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax. Plus Ups are excluded.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. There are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on the Equinox+ digital fitness app, or eligible Equinox club memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR® membership. CLEAR® is available at select airports and stadiums.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees