Iberia Adds Status Match in the Wake of Air Berlin Shut Down
One of our favorite ways to earn elite status quickly is through a status match. If you're used to being spoiled as an elite on one airline, it can be rough to go back to the ground floor on another airline or alliance. Status matches allow you to jump to a new airline while still retaining key perks like lounge access, free checked luggage and bonus miles. It's a win-win: airlines get a valuable new customer while that customer is able to enjoy perks right off the bat.
So perhaps it's no surprise that in the wake of the pending Air Berlin shut down, Iberia is ready to pick up some valuable new customers orphaned by the soon-to-be-defunct German carrier. It's offering a status match to fellow Oneworld elites at Air Berlin, but it's not stopping there. The same offer is also valid for elites with Star Alliance member Lufthansa.
Unfortunately, this status match doesn't seem to allow you to match to the airline's top-tier "Platino" level, which comes with Oneworld Emerald status. The highest match showing on the website is "Oro," which comes with mid-tier Sapphire status at other Oneworld airlines.
|Current Program||Current Status||Matched Status||Oneworld Status|
|Air Berlin Topbonus||Silver||Iberia Plata||Ruby|
|Air Berlin Topbonus||Gold or Platinum||Iberia Oro||Sapphire|
|Lufthansa Miles&More||Frequent Traveller||Iberia Plata||Ruby|
|Lufthansa Miles&More||Senator or HON Circle||Iberia Oro||Sapphire|
Here's how to complete the Iberia process:
- Download either the Spanish or German PDF. The status match isn't available in English.
- Fill in your details.
- If you have been recommended by another customer, include your Iberia Plus number in the form. Both the referrer and you will get 1,000 Avios each just to match your category.
- Take a picture of your current card.
- Send the form and the photo to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You should receive an email response "in a few days... confirming the registration in Iberia Plus and the assigned level."
Not an Air Berlin or Lufthansa elite? Here's our list of all current status match and status challenge options we know about. It's important to have a game plan to leverage your current elite status, especially if you're not going to be re-qualifying in 2017.
Will you be taking advantage of this status match?