United Further Limits Polaris Business Lounge Access
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United’s Polaris Lounge is fan-tastic. It’s so much better than the carrier’s other airport hangouts that customers go far out of their way to try to get in. One such not-so-under-the-radar method was to book a cheap business-class fare on Air Canada for $300 just for a chance to try out the lounge. Following Friday’s access policy change, those customers are out of luck.
Overcrowding was likely to blame for the change — an expansion is currently underway — but it was never the airline’s intention to allow access to short-haul customers. It just took a bit longer than anticipated to make this change. I wouldn’t expect those customers to have access to the other (yet-to-open) Polaris Lounges, either, unless they’re traveling in long-haul business class.
As of today, customers traveling in the following cabins can access the Polaris Lounge:
- United Polaris first class (with one guest)
- United Polaris business class
- Star Alliance long-haul first class (with one guest)
- Star Alliance long-haul business class
If you’re traveling between the US and Canada, Mexico, Central America or the Caribbean you won’t have access — you’ll be able to use Chicago O’Hare’s United Clubs, instead.
Given the overcrowding issues at the O’Hare Polaris Lounge, this change was inevitable. Fortunately, United is also working to expand the lounge’s footprint — once complete, it will measure 16,292 square feet and offer 277 seats, up from the 12,782 square feet and 204 seats available today.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees