‘Miracle on the Hudson’ Captain Sully Defends Ryanair Pilots
Ryanair pilots now have the support of one of the most famous names among their own, Chesley Sullenberger, or Sully. The retired US Airways captain who’s known for his “Miracle on the Hudson” landing in New York City spoke out in favor of Ryanair pilots, defending them and criticizing how the company’s CEO Michael O’Leary handled a pilot-vacation snafu that made headlines around the world.
Earlier this month, Ryanair announced that it would be cancelling flights every day for six weeks as the result of poor planning when it came to pilot vacation time. In all, the airline canceled more than 2,300 flights. Following the cancellations, O’Leary drew criticism for his claim that pilots have “a very easy job” and that computers do most of the flying.
Sully, who saved all 150 lives on board when he landed a crippled A320 with no engines in the Hudson River, disagreed. He told The Sunday Business Post that “airline executives should never forget that while pilots make flying incredibly safe and routine, it is not easy.”
“They should remember that when we go flying in an airliner, what we are really doing is pushing a tube filled with people through the upper atmosphere, seven or eight miles above the Earth, at 80 percent of the speed of sound, in a hostile environment with outside air pressure one quarter than at the surface and outside temperatures to minus 70 degrees, and we must return it safely to the Earth every time.”
Following Sully’s comments, Ryanair’s Head of Communications Robin Kelly said, “Our position regarding pilots was fully outlined at the AGM [shareholders’ meeting] and the media briefing yesterday.”
Rynair shares fell 1 percent on Monday on the London Stock Exchange, but they are up for the year.
Featured image by Earl Gibson III / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees