Ryanair Scraps Plan to Bid for Bankrupt Alitalia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This probably won’t come as much of a surprise given the carrier’s history and bizarre current situation, but per the Telegraph, Ryanair just shared that it no longer plans to bid on bankrupt Alitalia.
With continued financial support from the Italian government, Atiltalia’s situation isn’t nearly as dire as Air Berlin’s — I flew Alitalia myself just a few days ago and it felt like business as usual at the carrier — but without other alternative bids confirmed, this latest Ryanair move will no doubt leave Alitalia’s creditors a bit uneasy.
Officially, Ryanair executives blamed the airline’s “rostering problem” for the change of plans, explaining that it intends to avoid adding distractions for managers. On the surface that seems logical, but it wouldn’t be unreasonable to question Ryanair’s original intentions here.
As for next steps for Alitalia, the airline and its creditors are anxiously awaiting acquisition proposals, of course. The deadline to present binding offers is now October 16, giving potential suitors a bit more time to consider — and then likely cancel — a plan to bid.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.