Ryanair Scraps Plan to Bid for Bankrupt Alitalia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This probably won’t come as much of a surprise given the carrier’s history and bizarre current situation, but per the Telegraph, Ryanair just shared that it no longer plans to bid on bankrupt Alitalia.
With continued financial support from the Italian government, Atiltalia’s situation isn’t nearly as dire as Air Berlin’s — I flew Alitalia myself just a few days ago and it felt like business as usual at the carrier — but without other alternative bids confirmed, this latest Ryanair move will no doubt leave Alitalia’s creditors a bit uneasy.
Officially, Ryanair executives blamed the airline’s “rostering problem” for the change of plans, explaining that it intends to avoid adding distractions for managers. On the surface that seems logical, but it wouldn’t be unreasonable to question Ryanair’s original intentions here.
As for next steps for Alitalia, the airline and its creditors are anxiously awaiting acquisition proposals, of course. The deadline to present binding offers is now October 16, giving potential suitors a bit more time to consider — and then likely cancel — a plan to bid.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees