This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With Delta and United both planning full fleet retirements later this year, time is very quickly running out to get on board a US-based 747. In Germany, though, you’re about to have more options than ever — Lufthansa just added a bunch of 747-400 flights between Frankfurt (FRA) and Berlin’s Tegel Airport (TXL).
Flight times and frequencies vary from day to day, but it looks like the first 747 flight is scheduled for November 13, 2017, and service runs through the end of the month, with the final domestic flight scheduled for 5:45pm on November 30. While the frequency is inconsistent, I’ve noticed as many as five round-trips (a total of 10 flights) on some days.
Most flights will run you $441 each way in business class, or $94 in economy, but several dates are available for a bit less.
While these planes used to offer a fantastic first class product on the upper deck, they’ve since been converted to a three-cabin configuration, with 22 lie-flat business class seats located upstairs. (Note: According to this German source, Lufthansa may disable the lie-flat functionality on these flights.)
You can also redeem miles for many of the flights, but considering the redemption rates and high cash co-pays, buying a cash fare may make more sense.
Connecting flights are an exception, though, since you won’t need to add more miles for the domestic leg. You could also luck out with a double 747 trip, with the long-haul segment on the 747-8.
With fares starting at just $81 each way in coach, this is a super cool opportunity to fly Lufthansa’s 747-400 on the cheap. Just be aware that substitutions can occur, so if you’re traveling a long distance to catch one of these flights, monitor the aircraft assignment frequently. You certainly don’t want to fly to Europe, pay $400 for a lie-flat 747 seat and end up in Lufthansa’s lousy A320 business class, instead.
Will you be joining one of these domestic Lufthansa flights?
Featured image by DANIEL ROLAND via Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees