Lufthansa to Launch Domestic 747-400 Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With Delta and United both planning full fleet retirements later this year, time is very quickly running out to get on board a US-based 747. In Germany, though, you’re about to have more options than ever — Lufthansa just added a bunch of 747-400 flights between Frankfurt (FRA) and Berlin’s Tegel Airport (TXL).
Flight times and frequencies vary from day to day, but it looks like the first 747 flight is scheduled for November 13, 2017, and service runs through the end of the month, with the final domestic flight scheduled for 5:45pm on November 30. While the frequency is inconsistent, I’ve noticed as many as five round-trips (a total of 10 flights) on some days.
Most flights will run you $441 each way in business class, or $94 in economy, but several dates are available for a bit less.
While these planes used to offer a fantastic first class product on the upper deck, they’ve since been converted to a three-cabin configuration, with 22 lie-flat business class seats located upstairs. (Note: According to this German source, Lufthansa may disable the lie-flat functionality on these flights.)
You can also redeem miles for many of the flights, but considering the redemption rates and high cash co-pays, buying a cash fare may make more sense.
Connecting flights are an exception, though, since you won’t need to add more miles for the domestic leg. You could also luck out with a double 747 trip, with the long-haul segment on the 747-8.
With fares starting at just $81 each way in coach, this is a super cool opportunity to fly Lufthansa’s 747-400 on the cheap. Just be aware that substitutions can occur, so if you’re traveling a long distance to catch one of these flights, monitor the aircraft assignment frequently. You certainly don’t want to fly to Europe, pay $400 for a lie-flat 747 seat and end up in Lufthansa’s lousy A320 business class, instead.
Will you be joining one of these domestic Lufthansa flights?
Featured image by DANIEL ROLAND via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.