This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With Delta and United both planning full fleet retirements later this year, time is very quickly running out to get on board a US-based 747. In Germany, though, you’re about to have more options than ever — Lufthansa just added a bunch of 747-400 flights between Frankfurt (FRA) and Berlin’s Tegel Airport (TXL).
Flight times and frequencies vary from day to day, but it looks like the first 747 flight is scheduled for November 13, 2017, and service runs through the end of the month, with the final domestic flight scheduled for 5:45pm on November 30. While the frequency is inconsistent, I’ve noticed as many as five round-trips (a total of 10 flights) on some days.
Most flights will run you $441 each way in business class, or $94 in economy, but several dates are available for a bit less.
While these planes used to offer a fantastic first class product on the upper deck, they’ve since been converted to a three-cabin configuration, with 22 lie-flat business class seats located upstairs. (Note: According to this German source, Lufthansa may disable the lie-flat functionality on these flights.)
You can also redeem miles for many of the flights, but considering the redemption rates and high cash co-pays, buying a cash fare may make more sense.
Connecting flights are an exception, though, since you won’t need to add more miles for the domestic leg. You could also luck out with a double 747 trip, with the long-haul segment on the 747-8.
With fares starting at just $81 each way in coach, this is a super cool opportunity to fly Lufthansa’s 747-400 on the cheap. Just be aware that substitutions can occur, so if you’re traveling a long distance to catch one of these flights, monitor the aircraft assignment frequently. You certainly don’t want to fly to Europe, pay $400 for a lie-flat 747 seat and end up in Lufthansa’s lousy A320 business class, instead.
Will you be joining one of these domestic Lufthansa flights?
Featured image by DANIEL ROLAND via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards