This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Marriott has been stepping up its social media game as of late. Today the hotel chain has introduced a Twitter campaign it’s calling “Extra Point Sundays,” centered around its partnership with the National Football League. Just answer a bit of football trivia and you can earn 1,000 Marriott Rewards points for providing the correct response.
If you don’t know the answer, here’s a hint — you can click on the responses to Marriott’s tweet and see where others have replied with the correct answer.
When you tweet the answer, don’t forget to include the hashtag #RewardsPoints as the promotion requires, and remember that in order to get the points properly credited, you’ll need to connect your Twitter account to your Marriott Rewards account before tweeting. You can connect your Twitter account at this page and you’ll even earn an additional 250 points for doing so. If you want to pick up more Marriott points, you’ll find options on that same page for connecting your Facebook and Instagram accounts at 250 points each, and you can even earn extra points for following Marriott on Twitter and Instagram.
TPG currently values Marriott Rewards points at 0.9 cents apiece, so 1,000 Marriott points is worth $9. That’s actually a pretty solid return for just one tweet, though unfortunately points earned via social activity don’t count toward resetting the expiration clock on Marriott points.
Marriott recently changed its rules to allow customers to earn up to 45,000 bonus points per year solely via social media, up from a paltry 2,500, so clearly we can expect to see more promotions like this one. But in the immediate future, it would appear Marriott intends for “Extra Point Sundays” to run through most if not all of the NFL season, so look for more opportunities to earn Marriott points each week for the foreseeable future.
Featured image by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
This post has been updated to note the rules on extending expiring Marriott points with social media activities.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees