This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Marriott has been stepping up its social media game as of late. Today the hotel chain has introduced a Twitter campaign it’s calling “Extra Point Sundays,” centered around its partnership with the National Football League. Just answer a bit of football trivia and you can earn 1,000 Marriott Rewards points for providing the correct response.
If you don’t know the answer, here’s a hint — you can click on the responses to Marriott’s tweet and see where others have replied with the correct answer.
When you tweet the answer, don’t forget to include the hashtag #RewardsPoints as the promotion requires, and remember that in order to get the points properly credited, you’ll need to connect your Twitter account to your Marriott Rewards account before tweeting. You can connect your Twitter account at this page and you’ll even earn an additional 250 points for doing so. If you want to pick up more Marriott points, you’ll find options on that same page for connecting your Facebook and Instagram accounts at 250 points each, and you can even earn extra points for following Marriott on Twitter and Instagram.
TPG currently values Marriott Rewards points at 0.9 cents apiece, so 1,000 Marriott points is worth $9. That’s actually a pretty solid return for just one tweet, though unfortunately points earned via social activity don’t count toward resetting the expiration clock on Marriott points.
Marriott recently changed its rules to allow customers to earn up to 45,000 bonus points per year solely via social media, up from a paltry 2,500, so clearly we can expect to see more promotions like this one. But in the immediate future, it would appear Marriott intends for “Extra Point Sundays” to run through most if not all of the NFL season, so look for more opportunities to earn Marriott points each week for the foreseeable future.
Featured image by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
This post has been updated to note the rules on extending expiring Marriott points with social media activities.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards