#TBT: Flying From Miami to Cuba in 1927
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s no denying the allure of Cuba; long before Ernest Hemingway, travelers made their way to the Caribbean island for fun and exploration. Before Havana became frozen in time — and during the height of Prohibition — tourism was booming.
In 1927, Pan American Airways made its first trip to Cuba from Key West, delivering mail no less, and soon began regular service for passengers. In this throwback photo from 1927, we see a Pan Am Ford Trimotor plane — one of 199 that were made — readied for a trip to Havana from Miami. The Tin Goose, as it was nicknamed, could carry up to 10 passengers at a time, and sadly only a few remain today.
Image by Underwood Archives/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.