This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Last week, Emirates was offering a deal on flights from Newark (EWR) to Athens (ATH) at a discounted fare of $392 per person when booked for two people. Now, the carrier is offering a similar deal for two on its fifth-freedom route from New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP). If you book as part of this deal, you’ll pay just $398 round-trip per person in economy for a total of $796. There’s also discounted business- and first-class fares, with prices as low as $2,248 and $4,998 round-trip per person in business and first, respectively.
In order to take advantage of these discounted fares, you must book by August 24, 2017, at 11:59pm ET. Eligible travel periods are from September 17 through December 18, 2017; December 25, 2017, through March 30, 2018; and April 9 through May 15, 2018. There’s a minimum stay of seven days and a maximum stay of six months, and all travel must be completed on or before June 30, 2018.
Route: JFK – MXP
Cost: $398 round-trip per person ($783 round-trip for two) in economy
Dates: September 2017 – May 2018
Booking Link: Emirates
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $796 for two people ($398 per person) round-trip in October:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $796 for two people ($398 per person) round-trip in March:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $796 for two people ($398 per person) round-trip in May:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $4,496 for two people ($2,248 per person) round-trip in business class in May:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $9,996 for two people ($4,998 per person) round-trip in first class in May:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image of Milan courtesy of Gennaro Leonardi / EyeEm via Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees