This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Part of what makes transferable currencies so valuable is their flexibility; your points aren’t trapped in just one program. Even better, sometimes airlines and hotels partner with transferable point programs to offer a transfer bonus.
Today, Citi and Cathay Pacific launched a new transfer bonus that’s appealing for those looking to take advantage of some of the sweet spots of the Cathay Pacific Asia Miles program. Now through September 6, get a 20% bonus when transferring Citi ThankYou points to Cathay Pacific’s Asia Miles. Instead of the standard 1:1 transfer rate, you’ll get 1,200 Asia Miles for every 1,000 ThankYou points you transfer.
Citi ThankYou point-earning cards include:
- Citi Prestige Card (sign-up bonus: 75,000 points for $7,500 spend)
- Citi Premier Card
- Citi ThankYou Preferred Card (sign-up bonus: 15,000 points for $1,000 spend)
- Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students (sign-up bonus: 2,500 points for $500 spend)
- AT&T Access Card From Citi (sign-up bonus: 10,000 points for $1,000 spend)
If you still don’t have enough Asia Miles after transferring miles from ThankYou, you can pick up another 50,000 miles through the Cathay Pacific Visa Signature Card. This card’s sign-up bonus just doubled, too.
Is It Worth It?
In TPG’s July valuations, Citi ThankYou points are worth 1.6 cents each. While this is likely to take a hit due to the elimination of redeeming them for AA revenue flights at 1.6 cents each, you can get plenty of value by transferring points to airline programs such as Asia Miles. Meanwhile, our latest valuation for Asia Miles is around 1.4 cents per mile. With this transfer bonus in place, you’re getting ~1.68 cents per ThankYou point in value.
We go through a long list of potential great uses of Asia Miles in another article. Let’s revisit some of these examples in light of this new transfer bonus:
- Chicago-Helsinki in Finnair business class for 67,000 ThankYou Points round-trip
- Los Angeles-Sydney in Cathay Pacific premium economy for 40,000 ThankYou Points one-way
- New York-Madrid-Rome-Berlin, Vienna-Dusseldorf-New York in business class for 80,000 ThankYou Points round-trip
- Dallas-Maui, Kona-Los Angeles, Los Angeles-Dallas in economy for 38,000 ThankYou points round-trip
And that’s just scratching the surface. If you’re willing to take the time to learn the ins and outs of the program, there’s a lot you can do with Cathay’s Asia Miles program.
H/T: One Mile At a Time
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards