EgyptAir and Royal Air Maroc the Latest to Be Exempt From Electronics Ban
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today was a busy day for the electronics ban, as we learned that both EgyptAir and Royal Air Maroc will be removed from the list. For those counting, that means that all of the nine airlines that were required by the US Department of Homeland Security have implemented (or will implement) the enhanced security procedures. After Royal Air Maroc is exempted tomorrow, only Saudia will be subjected to the ban, though it’s been reported that it will be exempted as of July 19.
As of today, the electronics ban has been lifted for EgyptAir flights from Cairo (CAI) to New York (JFK). However, the electronics ban is still in place for EgyptAir flights from CAI to London (LHR).
— EGYPTAIR (@EGYPTAIR) July 12, 2017
We also learned that Royal Air Maroc will be exempt from the electronics ban on flights from Casablanca (CMN) to JFK beginning tomorrow, July 13.
— Royal Air Maroc (@RAM_Maroc) July 12, 2017
Currently, only Saudia hasn’t implemented the enhanced security screening procedures at either of its two airports that offer nonstop service to the US — King Khalid International Airport (RUH) in Riyadh and King Abdul-Aziz International Airport (JED) in Jeddah. If Saudia is, in fact, exempted on July 19, all nine airlines will no longer be forced to require passengers to check their large electronics devices in the cargo hold.
The electronics ban was first implemented in March. However, last month, the US unveiled new security requirements that airports must abide by in order to be cleared from the ban.
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees