Deal Alert: US Cities to Taiwan From $649 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm EST within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation.
If Asia is high on your travel wish list but you don’t want to pay a fortune while there, Taiwan is an excellent choice: It’s relatively cheap and the renowned street food can be had for just a few dollars. Purchasing flights to get there and back might be the most expensive part of the trip — but right now Star Alliance partners United, Asiana and Air Canada are offering low fares to Taipei (TPE), the country’s capital. You can find great prices from multiple US cities, including New York/Newark (EWR), Chicago (ORD), Seattle (SEA), San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX) and San Diego (SAN) starting as low as $649 round-trip.
Flights are available from late August through early December and there’s no minimum stay requirement to get these prices; just use Google Flights to find the dates you want, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself. Most of these itineraries have one reasonable connection in San Francisco (SFO), Vancouver, Canada (YVR) or Seoul, South Korea (ICN), and since these are international trips on mainstream carriers, travelers will get their first checked bag free and even a complimentary meal during the flight.
Airlines: Star Alliance partners (United Airlines, Asiana, Air Canada)
Routes: NYC/LAX/SFO/SEA/SAN/ORD to TPE
Cost: $649+ round-trip in economy
Dates: Late August through early December
Booking Link: Orbitz or Expedia
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York/Newark (EWR) to Taipei, Taiwan (TPE) for $649 round-trip via Orbitz:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Taipei (TPE) for $649 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Francisco (SFO) to Taipei (TPE) for $649 round-trip via Orbitz:
Seattle (SEA) to Taipei (TPE) for $679 round-trip via Orbitz:
San Diego (SAN) to Taipei (TPE) for $679 round-trip via Orbitz:
Chicago (ORD) to Taipei (TPE) for $693 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
Featured image courtesy of Daniel Aguilera/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees