This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – Citi Prestige Card, Citi ThankYou Preferred Card, Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express, Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students
Part of what makes transferable currencies so valuable is their flexibility — your points aren’t trapped in just one program. Even better, sometimes airlines and hotels partner with transferable point programs to offer a transfer bonus.
We just learned about a new transfer bonus that’s appealing for those looking to top off their Hilton Honors account. Now through September 20, get a 33% bonus when transferring Citi ThankYou Points to Hilton Honors. Instead of the standard 1 to 1.5 transfer rate, you’ll get 2,000 Honors points for every 1,000 Citi ThankYou Points you transfer.
Citi ThankYou Point earning cards include:
- Citi Prestige Card (sign-up bonus: 40,000 points for $4,000 spend)
- Citi Premier Card
- Citi ThankYou Preferred Card (sign-up bonus: 15,000 points for $1,000 spend)
- Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students (sign-up bonus: 2,500 points for $500 spend)
- AT&T Access Card From Citi (sign-up bonus: 10,000 points for $1,000 spend)
Is It Worth It?
In TPG’s latest valuations, Citi ThankYou points are pegged at 1.6 cents each — although you can get even more value by transferring to airline programs. Meanwhile, Hilton Honors points have around 0.6 cents of value per point. So, even at the improved 1:2 transfer ratio, you can expect to lose out on some value.
That said, this transfer bonus is ideal for those with orphaned Honors points. If you’re in this spot, you can utilize this transfer bonus to top off your Hilton account so you can redeem for an award. And, there are some great ways to get value from your Hilton points at both high and low levels. Category 1 Hilton hotels start at just 5,000 points per night — equivalent to 2,500 ThankYou Points per night with this transfer bonus.
Another way of stocking up on Hilton Honors points is by opening a new credit card. You can currently get 100,000 Hilton points via the Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express after spending $3,000 in the first three months. Unfortunately, the Citi Hilton Honors card is no longer accepting applications.
If you’re interested in taking advantage of this offer, there are some terms to keep in mind: The transfer from Citi ThankYou Points to Hilton isn’t immediate, but you can expect the have the points hit your Hilton account sometime within 24 hours. Keep in mind that Citi only promises that the points “will be posted to your Hilton Honors Member Account within 3 business days.”
Transfers must be made in increments of 1,000 ThankYou Points. In case you’re sitting on a stockpile of ThankYou Points, there’s no maximum to the number of points that you can transfer to earn the bonus, but there’s a cap of 500,000 points per transaction.
H/T: One Mile At A Time
Featured image courtesy of the Conrad Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards