Transfer Citi ThankYou Points to Hilton With a 33% Bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – Citi Prestige Card, Citi ThankYou Preferred Card, Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express, Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students, Citi Premier Card
Part of what makes transferable currencies so valuable is their flexibility — your points aren’t trapped in just one program. Even better, sometimes airlines and hotels partner with transferable point programs to offer a transfer bonus.
We just learned about a new transfer bonus that’s appealing for those looking to top off their Hilton Honors account. Now through September 20, get a 33% bonus when transferring Citi ThankYou Points to Hilton Honors. Instead of the standard 1 to 1.5 transfer rate, you’ll get 2,000 Honors points for every 1,000 Citi ThankYou Points you transfer.
Citi ThankYou Point earning cards include:
- Citi Prestige Card (sign-up bonus: 40,000 points for $4,000 spend)
- Citi Premier Card
- Citi ThankYou Preferred Card (sign-up bonus: 15,000 points for $1,000 spend)
- Citi ThankYou Preferred Card for College Students (sign-up bonus: 2,500 points for $500 spend)
- AT&T Access Card From Citi (sign-up bonus: 10,000 points for $1,000 spend)
Is It Worth It?
In TPG’s latest valuations, Citi ThankYou points are pegged at 1.6 cents each — although you can get even more value by transferring to airline programs. Meanwhile, Hilton Honors points have around 0.6 cents of value per point. So, even at the improved 1:2 transfer ratio, you can expect to lose out on some value.
That said, this transfer bonus is ideal for those with orphaned Honors points. If you’re in this spot, you can utilize this transfer bonus to top off your Hilton account so you can redeem for an award. And, there are some great ways to get value from your Hilton points at both high and low levels. Category 1 Hilton hotels start at just 5,000 points per night — equivalent to 2,500 ThankYou Points per night with this transfer bonus.
Another way of stocking up on Hilton Honors points is by opening a new credit card. You can currently get 100,000 Hilton points via the Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express after spending $3,000 in the first three months. Unfortunately, the Citi Hilton Honors card is no longer accepting applications.
If you’re interested in taking advantage of this offer, there are some terms to keep in mind: The transfer from Citi ThankYou Points to Hilton isn’t immediate, but you can expect the have the points hit your Hilton account sometime within 24 hours. Keep in mind that Citi only promises that the points “will be posted to your Hilton Honors Member Account within 3 business days.”
Transfers must be made in increments of 1,000 ThankYou Points. In case you’re sitting on a stockpile of ThankYou Points, there’s no maximum to the number of points that you can transfer to earn the bonus, but there’s a cap of 500,000 points per transaction.
H/T: One Mile At A Time
Featured image courtesy of the Conrad Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees