This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Platinum Card from American Express is loaded with benefits — from its fantastic bonus categories to special perks it provides. Now, Amex is targeting cardholders with a special offer to earn bonus Membership Rewards points for adding authorized users on to their account. If you were targeted, you can earn up to 20,000 bonus points for adding additional cardholders.
If you’re a cardholder and were targeted, you can earn 5,000 bonus points for each authorized user you add, up to a maximum of four. The catch is that they must spend at least $500 in the first three months in order for you to get the bonus points. If you add four users and they all hit the minimum spend requirement, you’ll earn the full 20,000 Membership Rewards points.
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, 20,000 points are worth $380. As a reminder, you can add three authorized users on the Platinum Card for a total annual fee of $175. Each card after that has an annual fee of $175. So, effectively, you could add four authorized users and get the bonus 20,000 points for $350 in annual fees.
Authorized users of the Platinum Card are entitled to many of the same benefits the primary cardholder gets. For example, they get access to the Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts program, a fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck, access to Amex Centurion Lounges, a Priority Pass membership, SPG Gold status (and therefore Marriott Gold status), Hilton Honors Gold status and Boingo Wi-Fi access. Two perks of the card that the primary cardholder gets but authorized users do not include the $200 annual airline fee credit and the $200 in annual Uber credits.
Several TPG staffers who have the Platinum Card were targeted for the offer, so it looks like this might be widely available. If you’re a cardholder, it’ll be worth checking your email to see if you were targeted. And if you were, you’ll want to add the authorized users to your account through the link in the email to make sure you’re eligible for the bonus points. This offer comes just a couple of days after Amex began targeting Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN cardholders with a surprise 50,000 points after meeting a minimum spending requirement.
If you’re not yet a cardholder of the Platinum Card, you can apply now for a bonus of 60,000 points after you spend $5,000 in the first three months. The card comes with an annual fee of $550, but there are plenty of perks that come along with it, such as lounge access, airline fee credits and annual Uber credits, among others. Plus, on the earning side of the equation, you’ll get 5x points on airfare booked directly through the airline and 5x points on hotel stays booked through amextravel.com.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees