Survey: Americans Are Lame Summer Vacationers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Surprise: Americans are historically bad at taking time off — and a recent survey indicates that summer 2017 will be no better.
According to Generali Global Assistance’s annual “summer holiday plans” survey, the average American vacation length will be about 1.4 weeks, down from 1.7 weeks in 2016, which also falls below the time taken by residents of other countries. The survey — which was conducted online for 10,000 consumers in 10 countries, with 1,000 consumers taking the survey per country — notes that Americans will also devote a 20% smaller budget to their summer plans than they did in 2016. To boot, Americans consider cash restrictions above all else in deciding where to travel.
Once they get where they’re going, however, the situation grows even more bleak: Only 56% of those Americans surveyed said they’ll completely unplug from work while away from the office. Compare that to the British, who report that 70% will leave their work at home.
How Americans say they vacation varies from Europeans as well. Nearly half have slept in tents, while only 23% of Europeans say the same. And while more than 60% of Europeans favor beach vacations, Americans tend to prefer traveling to urban areas. They also keep it domestic, with more than 40% of Americans saying they’ll stay within the US while traveling this summer.
This was the 17th year Generali conducted the survey, completed by Ipsos on behalf of Europ Assistance and Generali Global Assistance between March 28 and April 21, 2017.
Featured image courtesy of Tooga via Getty images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.