This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Surprise: Americans are historically bad at taking time off — and a recent survey indicates that summer 2017 will be no better.
According to Generali Global Assistance’s annual “summer holiday plans” survey, the average American vacation length will be about 1.4 weeks, down from 1.7 weeks in 2016, which also falls below the time taken by residents of other countries. The survey — which was conducted online for 10,000 consumers in 10 countries, with 1,000 consumers taking the survey per country — notes that Americans will also devote a 20% smaller budget to their summer plans than they did in 2016. To boot, Americans consider cash restrictions above all else in deciding where to travel.
Once they get where they’re going, however, the situation grows even more bleak: Only 56% of those Americans surveyed said they’ll completely unplug from work while away from the office. Compare that to the British, who report that 70% will leave their work at home.
How Americans say they vacation varies from Europeans as well. Nearly half have slept in tents, while only 23% of Europeans say the same. And while more than 60% of Europeans favor beach vacations, Americans tend to prefer traveling to urban areas. They also keep it domestic, with more than 40% of Americans saying they’ll stay within the US while traveling this summer.
This was the 17th year Generali conducted the survey, completed by Ipsos on behalf of Europ Assistance and Generali Global Assistance between March 28 and April 21, 2017.
Featured image courtesy of Tooga via Getty images.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that