JetBlue Eyeing Mint Expansion With New Flights to Europe
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue has had its eyes set on flights from the US to Europe for quite some time now. The carrier’s CEO Robin Hayes has hinted at a transatlantic expansion the past, and now Hayes is saying that the carrier will take aim at competing in the premium transatlantic market.
As Air Transport World reports from the IATA Annual General Meeting in Cancun this week, Hayes noted that JetBlue could convert some of its A321 orders to A321LRs when the latter becomes available in 2019. With the longer-range aircraft, JetBlue could fly across the Atlantic to Europe from both New York and Boston, two of the carrier’s largest markets. Hayes said that if JetBlue does opt to order A321LRs, they’ll be equipped with more Mint seats than the 16 seats in the current premium cabin on its A321 aircraft.
Hayes noted that on the current routes where Mint is offered, there is high demand. “My only regret is that, with hindsight, we should have put more [Mint seats] in the fleet we have,” Hayes said. So, if JetBlue does decide to launch service to Europe, customers can expect to see a larger premium cabin — good news for passengers, as Mint is TPG’s favorite way to fly across the country.
The move could make sense for JetBlue. The three major US carriers — American, Delta and United — and their alliance partners control 87% of the transatlantic market, and nearly all of the premium traffic. JetBlue is eyeing that dense market as one that it could disrupt, offering lower prices in the premium cabin and increasing competition — the same it did for domestic transcontinental flights. Hayes noted that the carrier wouldn’t compete in the same realm as low-cost carriers like Norwegian and WOW Air that have emerged on the scene, but instead, it would focus its efforts on the premium transatlantic market.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees