Emirates Considering Big A380 Boost
Update 6/12/2017: Emirates has told Reuters that the airline has no plans to buy additional A380s at this time. So, it seems that Airbus’ A380 program hasn’t been thrown the lifeline that Bloomberg originally reported.
Amid the ongoing diplomatic crisis in Qatar, which will undoubtedly curtail Qatar Airways‘ expansion plans, another Persian Gulf is remaining bullish in its outlook. Emirates, the world’s leading long-haul carrier, is in early negotiations to order 20 Airbus A380 double-decker jets, according to Bloomberg.
The contract with Airbus, potentially worth as much as $8.7 billion, could be finalized by the end of 2017, with the first aircraft set to arrive in 2020. Though still being discussed, the purchase could either replace existing A380s with expiring leases, or they could boost capacity overall. If the airline decides to go ahead with acquiring more superjumbos, it could keep the A380 program alive — Airbus is reportedly struggling to log new orders from airlines. Emirates’ president, Sir Tim Clark, has pushed Airbus to create a more fuel efficient A380, but the lack of demand has deterred the airplane manufacturer from doing so.
Emirates was the first to place an order for the famed superjumbo jet and it now flies to over 40 destinations around the world for the carrier. The airline’s extensive use of the A380 has allowed Dubai, its base, to become a global gateway that connects Europe and North America with Africa, Asia and the Indian subcontinent.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.