A Look Inside El Al’s New 787-9 Dreamliners
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
El Al is expecting to take delivery of its first Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft this August, with commercial service starting in September, according to Reuters. Over the weekend, the airline released renderings of the interiors of these new aircraft, which will feature business-class, premium economy and economy cabins.
We’re most excited for the new business-class product, which looks like it’ll finally be able to compete against other airlines flying to Israel. Per the seat map of the 787-9 provided by the airline, it will feature 32 lie-flat seats arranged in a 1-2-1 pattern, with each providing direct aisle access. Each will be 21 inches wide and will measure 78 inches long when fully flat.
The seats themselves remind us a bit of United’s Polaris business class on board its Boeing 777-300ER aircraft, and represent a huge step up for the Israeli carrier, as it currently features angle-flat seats in business class on its long-haul aircraft.
The new Dreamliners will also feature a true premium economy cabin with 28 seats that are 19 inches wide and arranged in a 2-3-2 pattern.
Each premium economy seat will feature large IFE screens, access to power and 38 inches of pitch.
The economy cabin will feature 222 seats arranged in a 3-3-3 configuration, with each seat providing 31 inches of pitch and 17 inches of width.
According to the Jewish Press, El Al will begin flying the new Dreamliners on its Tel Aviv (TLV) – London (LHR) flights this fall, followed soon after by its Newark (EWR) – TLV flights — great news for US-based flyers and likely a necessary move for the Israeli carrier. United is already flying its newest 777-300ER aircraft on the same route.
As a reminder, the only transferable point program that partners with Matmid (El Al’s frequent flyer program) is American Express Membership Rewards. And you might not be getting the best value, as the redemption ratio is 20 Matmid points for every 1,000 Membership Rewards points transferred. EWR to TLV will cost you at least 1,400 Matmid points (70,000 MR points) in economy and at least 4,000 Matmid points (200,000 MR points) in business class.
Featured image courtesy of El Al’s Facebook page.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees