El Al to Resume Nonstop Service Between Miami and Tel Aviv
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
South Florida-based flyers will soon have a quicker means of getting to Israel. El Al Israel Airlines announced that it’s going to resume its route between Miami (MIA) and Tel Aviv (TLV). The route, which is set to launch in November, will resume El Al’s service on the route, which was terminated in September 2008. El Al serves five other North American airports with nonstop service to Israel — New York (JFK and EWR), Los Angeles (LAX), Boston (BOS) and Toronto (YYZ).
El Al will operate the nonstop service between the two cities three times per week, and tickets will go on sale in mid-May (pending government approval). Each of the flights will be operated by one of the carrier’s Boeing 777-200 aircraft, which has six lie-flat seats in first (2-2-2 configuration), 35 angle-flat seats in business with 62 inches of pitch (2-3-2 configuration), 34 seats in economy plus with 36 inches of pitch (3-3-3 configuration) and 204 seats in economy with 32 inches of pitch (3-3-3 configuration).
The only transferable point program that partners with Matmid (El Al’s frequent flyer program) is American Express Membership Rewards. And, even though it’s the only transfer partner, you might not be getting the best value, as the redemption ratio is 20 Matmid points for every 1,000 Membership Rewards points transferred.
The carrier’s award chart is a bit confusing and broken down by two groups: 1) Executive, which you can become if you transfer 100 Matmid points (5,000 MR points) from a non-Israeli credit card (for example, an Amex card); and 2) regular. Each of the groups then has seasonal rates that are higher in the summer and lower in the winter (only in economy). Business and first class remain the same year-round. You can find the charts here.
Miami isn’t yet listed as an option on the carrier’s award chart, so it’s not yet clear how many points it’ll cost you to book an award ticket. But, as a point of reference, BOS, JFK, EWR and YYZ to TLV will cost you 1,400 Matmid points (70,000 MR points) in economy in the winter, 1,600 Matmid points (80,000 MR points) in economy in the summer, 4,000 Matmid points (200,000 MR points) in business class year-round and 6,500 Matmid points (325,000 MR points) in first class year-round. As you can see, you’re probably getting the best value out of the economy redemptions. Check out this post to learn more about how you can book award travel to Israel, including more information on how to book an El Al award ticket.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees