Survey Says: Almost Twice as Many People Would Take a Relaxing Vacation Over an Active One
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every vacation — whether it’s a weekend in Miami or a week spent exploring Machu Picchu — could be considered an “adventure” in its own right. And while travel professionals love touting the one-of-a-kind experiences that await you at their preferred destinations — like gorilla trekking in Rwanda or shark diving in South Africa — a new study has concluded that most people (a whopping 59%) would much rather spend their time off doing absolutely nothing.
The study, which was commissioned by GfK, a noted German market research firm, surveyed travelers across 17 different countries — including the United States, Canada, France, Australia, China, Japan, Brazil, Germany, Mexico and the UK — to determine the vacation patterns of travelers of all ages. Overall, they determined that nearly twice as many people would opt for a relaxing vacation over an “active” one (59% compared to 35%), with residents of Brazil, South Korea and Japan leading the charge for do-nothing getaways. Travelers from Italy, France and Spain, on the other hand, were more inclined to book a trip that keeps them moving. Perhaps unsurprisingly, of the teens who were included, 43% preferred “an active vacation where I do or see lots of things.”
While the study attempted to analyze different travel preferences between countries, age groups and genders, the researchers determined that when it comes to vacations, men and women are on the same page. According to the study, “Men are potentially very slightly more lazy in their holiday choice than women — standing at 60% of men preferring a relaxing vacation, compared to 58% of women. But for active holidays, men and women stand neck and neck at 35% each.”
Families tended to be among the most active vacationers included in the survey, which makes sense, as kids have a lot of energy. The laziest demographic surveyed? People in their forties — 64% of whom were on Team Relax’s side. You can check out the full report here. Meanwhile, if you need us for anything, we’ll be under that palapa on the beach…
Which type of vacation do you prefer, relaxing or active? Sound off, below.
Featured image courtesy of Marcos Ferro via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees