1Password Adds “Travel Mode” to Keep Accounts Private While Traveling
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Password managers are an excellent tool for keeping your accounts safe — especially if you’re like us and have dozens of mileage program accounts and many credit card accounts. Companies like LastPass and 1Password let you set one password to unlock a virtual vault of randomly generated passwords used for your mileage, banking and social accounts. No need for sticky notes or cryptic codes to remind you of your passwords.
Good news if you use the 1Password password manager and like to travel. 1Password has just added “Travel Mode” to help keep your accounts private when traveling. Here’s how it works:
First, you’re going to want to group accounts into “vaults,” making sure that you’re grouping accounts that you want while traveling together. Next, set which vaults your want accessible during your trip. Then, right before traveling, go into your profile and enable Travel Mode. This will remove vaults from your app that haven’t been marked safe for travel.
This option can be especially useful when you encounter a curious border agent. You aren’t legally required to give passwords to a US border guard, but your devices can be taken for analysis if you refuse.
If you are using 1Password’s Travel Mode, you can give your 1Password master key to the border agent (or enter it yourself). This will only grant access to the accounts that you have included in the Travel Mode vault(s). For any other accounts, you can honestly tell the border agent that you don’t know the password.
1Password didn’t go into details about exactly how Travel Mode can be disabled, only that “When you’re done traveling, return to My Profile and click Disable Travel Mode.” Hopefully, this can’t be disabled via the app. If so, border agents would wise up to this fairly quickly and insist that you do so before handing over your phone.
Featured image courtesy of Stephen Chernin/Stringer via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees