Wanup: A New Loyalty Program for Independent Hotels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While we mostly cover chain hotel programs, we certainly recognize the value of independent properties. They can provide unique and/or boutique experiences, sometimes in fascinating locations where chain hotels couldn’t or wouldn’t go.
But, if you’re used to chain hotels, it might be strange to book a stay at an independent one, where you might not be sure what to expect. Will you get free internet? How about free breakfast? Will you be able to get early check-in or late check-out?
This is where independent hotel loyalty programs can fill the gap. Last January, we shared three such programs with you. But now another program has burst onto the scene: Wanup. Launched in September 2016, Wanup has already signed on 400 hotels and is constantly adding more. Wanup partner hotels range “from urban boutiques and business hotels, to beach resorts and rural B&Bs.”
So far, all of these hotels are in Europe — primarily focused in the company’s home base of Spain — but according to a Wanup representative the company plans to start signing up hotels in North America by the end of 2017.
Just for signing up for the program through Wanup’s website, you’re going to get a €10 ($11) “welcome voucher” for your first stay. And, starting with your first stay, you’ll get benefits and earn credits toward future stays. Benefits are based on how many eligible nights you’ve stayed within the last 365 days:
That’s right; even on your first stay, you’re guaranteed to get free Wi-Fi, food and beverage discounts, early check-in and late check-out. In addition, you’ll earn 3% of the cost of your stay as a credit toward future stays anywhere in the network. On your eighth night, you’ll be bumped up to a 4% cash-back rate and get a slightly larger food/beverage discount.
But, the real benefits kick if you stay at least 35 nights per year: room upgrades, free parking, free breakfast and other perks and amenities depending on the hotel. On this perk, Wanup references: “Think gin and tonic on a rooftop bar in Barcelona or a classically British afternoon tea in Oxford.” Plus, you’ll start getting 5% cash back toward future stays.
Speaking of this “travel cash,” you’ve got 24 months to use these credits toward a stay. The good news is that there doesn’t seem to be a minimum amount that you have to apply toward a booking; you don’t have to save up enough to redeem for the whole stay. So, as long as you stay at least once every two years, you shouldn’t lose these credits.
If you’ve got a European trip coming up and there isn’t a chain hotel where you want to stay, you might as well check out Wanup’s hotel options. If you find one that’s appealing, sign up to save $11 off your first booking, perks starting on your first stay and start earning travel credits toward future stays.
Since Wanup offers solid elite benefits — starting on your first night and getting better from there — we’re looking forward to the program expanding outside of Europe soon. Having a massive network of independent hotels will make getting elite status easier and make stays more rewarding.
Featured image courtesy of Monastero Santa Rosa — a Wanup member hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees