Wanup: A New Loyalty Program for Independent Hotels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While we mostly cover chain hotel programs, we certainly recognize the value of independent properties. They can provide unique and/or boutique experiences, sometimes in fascinating locations where chain hotels couldn’t or wouldn’t go.
But, if you’re used to chain hotels, it might be strange to book a stay at an independent one, where you might not be sure what to expect. Will you get free internet? How about free breakfast? Will you be able to get early check-in or late check-out?
This is where independent hotel loyalty programs can fill the gap. Last January, we shared three such programs with you. But now another program has burst onto the scene: Wanup. Launched in September 2016, Wanup has already signed on 400 hotels and is constantly adding more. Wanup partner hotels range “from urban boutiques and business hotels, to beach resorts and rural B&Bs.”
So far, all of these hotels are in Europe — primarily focused in the company’s home base of Spain — but according to a Wanup representative the company plans to start signing up hotels in North America by the end of 2017.
Just for signing up for the program through Wanup’s website, you’re going to get a €10 ($11) “welcome voucher” for your first stay. And, starting with your first stay, you’ll get benefits and earn credits toward future stays. Benefits are based on how many eligible nights you’ve stayed within the last 365 days:
That’s right; even on your first stay, you’re guaranteed to get free Wi-Fi, food and beverage discounts, early check-in and late check-out. In addition, you’ll earn 3% of the cost of your stay as a credit toward future stays anywhere in the network. On your eighth night, you’ll be bumped up to a 4% cash-back rate and get a slightly larger food/beverage discount.
But, the real benefits kick if you stay at least 35 nights per year: room upgrades, free parking, free breakfast and other perks and amenities depending on the hotel. On this perk, Wanup references: “Think gin and tonic on a rooftop bar in Barcelona or a classically British afternoon tea in Oxford.” Plus, you’ll start getting 5% cash back toward future stays.
Speaking of this “travel cash,” you’ve got 24 months to use these credits toward a stay. The good news is that there doesn’t seem to be a minimum amount that you have to apply toward a booking; you don’t have to save up enough to redeem for the whole stay. So, as long as you stay at least once every two years, you shouldn’t lose these credits.
If you’ve got a European trip coming up and there isn’t a chain hotel where you want to stay, you might as well check out Wanup’s hotel options. If you find one that’s appealing, sign up to save $11 off your first booking, perks starting on your first stay and start earning travel credits toward future stays.
Since Wanup offers solid elite benefits — starting on your first night and getting better from there — we’re looking forward to the program expanding outside of Europe soon. Having a massive network of independent hotels will make getting elite status easier and make stays more rewarding.
Featured image courtesy of Monastero Santa Rosa — a Wanup member hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.