Qatar Airways Wants to Launch an Airline in India
After announcing an amazing new business-class product at ITB Berlin this week, Qatar Airways has more big plans up its sleeve. The Doha-based carrier plans on launching a short-haul airline in India. Qatar Airways Group CEO His Excellency Akbar Al Baker said that the new airline would be 100% Qatari owned and funded by the the Qatar Investment Authority.
India recently opened up the country to direct foreign investment so it’s now possible for foreign entities to own domestic Indian airlines. Al Baker said that the carrier will “soon” be submitting an application to Indian authorities to operate an airline with a fleet of about 100 narrow-body jets within the country.
Other foreign carriers have recently started investing in India through joint ventures — AirAsia set up AirAsia India and Singapore Airlines started Vistara with Indian conglomerate Tata Group. And Etihad owns about a quarter of Jet Airways, India’s second largest airline. Despite its woes in recent years, the Indian aviation market still shows tons of potential for airlines as its currently valued at about $16 billion and is reportedly set to become the third-largest aviation market in the world by 2020.
Qatar Airways has tried to set up an airline in Saudi Arabia over the past few years, but hasn’t made much progress because of the difficulty it’s had in obtaining an operating license in the Kingdom. Al Baker also added that because of problems with the delivery of an earlier order of 50 narrow-body aircraft from Airbus, they have requested to convert that into one comprised solely of A321neos.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees