Air India Becomes First Airline to Fly Around the World With All-Female Crew
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air India recently completed a round-the-world trip with an entirely female crew. Flight AI 174 left New Delhi (DEL) on a Boeing 777, flying over the Pacific Ocean to reach San Francisco. After a mandatory rest period in SFO, the crew flew back to New Delhi over the Atlantic, completing the trip around the globe.
Not only were the flight’s captains and cabin crew all-female, but the check-in and ground staff, engineers and air traffic controllers were all female as well. The flight, which is part of a series of all-women flights in honor of International Women’s Day, was the first one of these flights to operate with an entirely-female crew.
— Tunku Varadarajan (@tunkuv) March 6, 2017
Aside from making history in honor of International Women’s Day, Air India has also taken steps to ensure the safety and comfort of its female passengers. Recently, the airline began selling seats in female-only sections on domestic routes in order to prevent in-flight sexual assault after several women reported being groped by male passengers.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.