This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Marriott was busy focusing on successfully completing its merger with Starwood after fending off challenges from Chinese company Anbang. Now that the merger is complete and guests can take advantage of status matches, points transfers and more, Marriott’s able to once again focus on making improvements to the guest experience. Now, the chain is betting on extensive customer research to provide new, high-tech features in a revamped mobile app that aims to provide a thoroughly modern and seamless experience from the time you plan a stay to when you check out.
Here’s a rundown of the features that you can expect to see in the new app:
- Mobile Check-In/Check-Out: While Marriott has offered this feature since 2014, it’s making it easier to use and more robust. Guests will be able to request room upgrades and be notified if an upgrade clears before arrival. You’ll also be able to request a late checkout (a perk guaranteed to Gold and Platinum Elite members).
- Mobile Requests: This feature has been available since 2015 and is now available at 4,000+ hotels around the globe. Guests can chat with employees directly as well as request things such as extra towels right from a menu within the app.
- Mobile Key: You’ve already been able to take advantage of the mobile key feature and completely skip the check-in desk, but it’s getting a big expansion with the rollout of the new app — it’ll be available at more than 500 hotels worldwide this year.
- Improved search: Users will have the ability to perform more precise searches by searching hotels nearest to a specific address or point-of-interest.
- Curated content: The app will deliver original content from Marriott’s digital Magazine called Traveler that will aid travelers in finding compelling information on their destination.
In addition to the inclusion of the above features, you’ll notice an improved interface featuring what Marriott calls ‘one-button’ design, inspired by watching travelers walking (or running) through airports balancing phones in one hand and luggage in the other. The goal here is to provide travelers with ‘simple thumb-tap access’ to all the app’s features. Also, the home screen will be dynamic, meaning that relevant features will pop up depending on where you are in your trip. For example, if you’re just beginning your trip you’ll see the Mobile Check-In or Mobile Requests page upon opening the app.
Later this year, Marriott plans to add a message bot called mPlaces which will provide travelers with travel and hotel information, recognition and offers throughout a stay. In the future, this feature will deliver more personalized content based on user data and driven by beacons that are now installed at over 500 properties. Also, you’ll be able to order restaurant or room service food to be delivered at any location on the property.
The new app will launch at some point today in the Apple App Store with support for five languages — English, Chinese, Spanish, French and German. Android users will have to wait a bit longer to download the app, which will be available in the Google Play store later this year.
What other features would you like to see added to Marriott’s app?
Featured image courtesy of the JW Marriott, Grand Rapids.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees