This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Marriott was busy focusing on successfully completing its merger with Starwood after fending off challenges from Chinese company Anbang. Now that the merger is complete and guests can take advantage of status matches, points transfers and more, Marriott’s able to once again focus on making improvements to the guest experience. Now, the chain is betting on extensive customer research to provide new, high-tech features in a revamped mobile app that aims to provide a thoroughly modern and seamless experience from the time you plan a stay to when you check out.
Here’s a rundown of the features that you can expect to see in the new app:
- Mobile Check-In/Check-Out: While Marriott has offered this feature since 2014, it’s making it easier to use and more robust. Guests will be able to request room upgrades and be notified if an upgrade clears before arrival. You’ll also be able to request a late checkout (a perk guaranteed to Gold and Platinum Elite members).
- Mobile Requests: This feature has been available since 2015 and is now available at 4,000+ hotels around the globe. Guests can chat with employees directly as well as request things such as extra towels right from a menu within the app.
- Mobile Key: You’ve already been able to take advantage of the mobile key feature and completely skip the check-in desk, but it’s getting a big expansion with the rollout of the new app — it’ll be available at more than 500 hotels worldwide this year.
- Improved search: Users will have the ability to perform more precise searches by searching hotels nearest to a specific address or point-of-interest.
- Curated content: The app will deliver original content from Marriott’s digital Magazine called Traveler that will aid travelers in finding compelling information on their destination.
In addition to the inclusion of the above features, you’ll notice an improved interface featuring what Marriott calls ‘one-button’ design, inspired by watching travelers walking (or running) through airports balancing phones in one hand and luggage in the other. The goal here is to provide travelers with ‘simple thumb-tap access’ to all the app’s features. Also, the home screen will be dynamic, meaning that relevant features will pop up depending on where you are in your trip. For example, if you’re just beginning your trip you’ll see the Mobile Check-In or Mobile Requests page upon opening the app.
Later this year, Marriott plans to add a message bot called mPlaces which will provide travelers with travel and hotel information, recognition and offers throughout a stay. In the future, this feature will deliver more personalized content based on user data and driven by beacons that are now installed at over 500 properties. Also, you’ll be able to order restaurant or room service food to be delivered at any location on the property.
The new app will launch at some point today in the Apple App Store with support for five languages — English, Chinese, Spanish, French and German. Android users will have to wait a bit longer to download the app, which will be available in the Google Play store later this year.
What other features would you like to see added to Marriott’s app?
Featured image courtesy of the JW Marriott, Grand Rapids.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees