Marriott’s Mobile App Is Getting a Big Upgrade
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Marriott was busy focusing on successfully completing its merger with Starwood after fending off challenges from Chinese company Anbang. Now that the merger is complete and guests can take advantage of status matches, points transfers and more, Marriott’s able to once again focus on making improvements to the guest experience. Now, the chain is betting on extensive customer research to provide new, high-tech features in a revamped mobile app that aims to provide a thoroughly modern and seamless experience from the time you plan a stay to when you check out.
Here’s a rundown of the features that you can expect to see in the new app:
- Mobile Check-In/Check-Out: While Marriott has offered this feature since 2014, it’s making it easier to use and more robust. Guests will be able to request room upgrades and be notified if an upgrade clears before arrival. You’ll also be able to request a late checkout (a perk guaranteed to Gold and Platinum Elite members).
- Mobile Requests: This feature has been available since 2015 and is now available at 4,000+ hotels around the globe. Guests can chat with employees directly as well as request things such as extra towels right from a menu within the app.
- Mobile Key: You’ve already been able to take advantage of the mobile key feature and completely skip the check-in desk, but it’s getting a big expansion with the rollout of the new app — it’ll be available at more than 500 hotels worldwide this year.
- Improved search: Users will have the ability to perform more precise searches by searching hotels nearest to a specific address or point-of-interest.
- Curated content: The app will deliver original content from Marriott’s digital Magazine called Traveler that will aid travelers in finding compelling information on their destination.
In addition to the inclusion of the above features, you’ll notice an improved interface featuring what Marriott calls ‘one-button’ design, inspired by watching travelers walking (or running) through airports balancing phones in one hand and luggage in the other. The goal here is to provide travelers with ‘simple thumb-tap access’ to all the app’s features. Also, the home screen will be dynamic, meaning that relevant features will pop up depending on where you are in your trip. For example, if you’re just beginning your trip you’ll see the Mobile Check-In or Mobile Requests page upon opening the app.
Later this year, Marriott plans to add a message bot called mPlaces which will provide travelers with travel and hotel information, recognition and offers throughout a stay. In the future, this feature will deliver more personalized content based on user data and driven by beacons that are now installed at over 500 properties. Also, you’ll be able to order restaurant or room service food to be delivered at any location on the property.
The new app will launch at some point today in the Apple App Store with support for five languages — English, Chinese, Spanish, French and German. Android users will have to wait a bit longer to download the app, which will be available in the Google Play store later this year.
What other features would you like to see added to Marriott’s app?
Featured image courtesy of the JW Marriott, Grand Rapids.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees