Marriott’s Mobile App Is Getting a Big Upgrade
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Marriott was busy focusing on successfully completing its merger with Starwood after fending off challenges from Chinese company Anbang. Now that the merger is complete and guests can take advantage of status matches, points transfers and more, Marriott’s able to once again focus on making improvements to the guest experience. Now, the chain is betting on extensive customer research to provide new, high-tech features in a revamped mobile app that aims to provide a thoroughly modern and seamless experience from the time you plan a stay to when you check out.
Here’s a rundown of the features that you can expect to see in the new app:
- Mobile Check-In/Check-Out: While Marriott has offered this feature since 2014, it’s making it easier to use and more robust. Guests will be able to request room upgrades and be notified if an upgrade clears before arrival. You’ll also be able to request a late checkout (a perk guaranteed to Gold and Platinum Elite members).
- Mobile Requests: This feature has been available since 2015 and is now available at 4,000+ hotels around the globe. Guests can chat with employees directly as well as request things such as extra towels right from a menu within the app.
- Mobile Key: You’ve already been able to take advantage of the mobile key feature and completely skip the check-in desk, but it’s getting a big expansion with the rollout of the new app — it’ll be available at more than 500 hotels worldwide this year.
- Improved search: Users will have the ability to perform more precise searches by searching hotels nearest to a specific address or point-of-interest.
- Curated content: The app will deliver original content from Marriott’s digital Magazine called Traveler that will aid travelers in finding compelling information on their destination.
In addition to the inclusion of the above features, you’ll notice an improved interface featuring what Marriott calls ‘one-button’ design, inspired by watching travelers walking (or running) through airports balancing phones in one hand and luggage in the other. The goal here is to provide travelers with ‘simple thumb-tap access’ to all the app’s features. Also, the home screen will be dynamic, meaning that relevant features will pop up depending on where you are in your trip. For example, if you’re just beginning your trip you’ll see the Mobile Check-In or Mobile Requests page upon opening the app.
Later this year, Marriott plans to add a message bot called mPlaces which will provide travelers with travel and hotel information, recognition and offers throughout a stay. In the future, this feature will deliver more personalized content based on user data and driven by beacons that are now installed at over 500 properties. Also, you’ll be able to order restaurant or room service food to be delivered at any location on the property.
The new app will launch at some point today in the Apple App Store with support for five languages — English, Chinese, Spanish, French and German. Android users will have to wait a bit longer to download the app, which will be available in the Google Play store later this year.
What other features would you like to see added to Marriott’s app?
Featured image courtesy of the JW Marriott, Grand Rapids.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.