The Amex Business Platinum’s 100,000-Point Bonus Ends Soon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN
The Business Platinum Card from American Express made quite a splash in late 2016. First, Amex announced a 50% rebate when you use Pay with Points for airfare through Amex Travel, and soon after it launched a limited-time sign-up bonus for the card.
With the current offer, you can earn up to 100,000 American Express Membership Rewards points — 50,000 after you spend $5,000 in the first three months, plus another 50,000 when you spend a total $15,000 in the first three months. However, this increased sign-up offer will soon be coming to an end; it’s set to expire on January 25, 2017. It’s safe to say the offer replacing it will be lower, so if you’re interested you won’t want to wait much longer.
While spending $15,000 in three months to earn the full bonus sounds steep, it could be attainable for small-business owners who can put significant spending on this card. Based on TPG’s latest valuations, the 100,000 Membership Rewards points you’ll earn after meeting the higher spending requirement are worth $1,900, and they can get you even more of a return with high-value redemptions, such as Singapore Airlines Suites or Lufthansa first class.
Bonus points aside, the Business Platinum Card could be worth having in your wallet due to its recently added redemption option. When you use your points to book airfare via Amex Travel, you’ll get a 50% rebate, effectively getting you an outstanding 2 cents per point in value. This option is available when you book first or business-class flights with any airline through the travel portal, or when you redeem points for economy tickets with the carrier you’ve chosen for your $200 annual airline fee credit perk.
This card does have a high $450 annual fee, but it’s partially subsidized by the previously mentioned $200 airline fee credit (good for some incidental fees, but unfortunately not airfare), plus a statement credit for the Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application cost. Additionally, cardholders get access to the Centurion Lounge network among other airport clubs, Gold status with Starwood (and thus Marriott) and Hilton, 10 Gogo in-flight internet passes and more.
The Business Platinum Card is better than ever thanks to recently added benefits such as a 50% points rebate when you redeem for airfare, and the current sign-up bonus only makes it more valuable. If you can max out this offer to earn 100,000 points by spending $15,000 in the first three months of cardmembership, this is a no-brainer. Remember to act before January 25 (a week from Wednesday) if you’re interested.
How are you redeeming your 100,000 Membership Rewards points?
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees