The Amex Business Platinum’s 100,000-Point Bonus Ends Soon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – The Business Platinum® Card from American Express
The Business Platinum Card from American Express made quite a splash in late 2016. First, Amex announced a 50% rebate when you use Pay with Points for airfare through Amex Travel, and soon after it launched a limited-time sign-up bonus for the card.
With the current offer, you can earn up to 100,000 American Express Membership Rewards points — 50,000 after you spend $5,000 in the first three months, plus another 50,000 when you spend a total $15,000 in the first three months. However, this increased sign-up offer will soon be coming to an end; it’s set to expire on January 25, 2017. It’s safe to say the offer replacing it will be lower, so if you’re interested you won’t want to wait much longer.
While spending $15,000 in three months to earn the full bonus sounds steep, it could be attainable for small-business owners who can put significant spending on this card. Based on TPG’s latest valuations, the 100,000 Membership Rewards points you’ll earn after meeting the higher spending requirement are worth $1,900, and they can get you even more of a return with high-value redemptions, such as Singapore Airlines Suites or Lufthansa first class.
Bonus points aside, the Business Platinum Card could be worth having in your wallet due to its recently added redemption option. When you use your points to book airfare via Amex Travel, you’ll get a 50% rebate, effectively getting you an outstanding 2 cents per point in value. This option is available when you book first or business-class flights with any airline through the travel portal, or when you redeem points for economy tickets with the carrier you’ve chosen for your $200 annual airline fee credit perk.
This card does have a high $450 annual fee, but it’s partially subsidized by the previously mentioned $200 airline fee credit (good for some incidental fees, but unfortunately not airfare), plus a statement credit for the Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application cost. Additionally, cardholders get access to the Centurion Lounge network among other airport clubs, Gold status with Starwood (and thus Marriott) and Hilton, 10 Gogo in-flight internet passes and more.
The Business Platinum Card is better than ever thanks to recently added benefits such as a 50% points rebate when you redeem for airfare, and the current sign-up bonus only makes it more valuable. If you can max out this offer to earn 100,000 points by spending $15,000 in the first three months of cardmembership, this is a no-brainer. Remember to act before January 25 (a week from Wednesday) if you’re interested.
How are you redeeming your 100,000 Membership Rewards points?
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees