This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Prestige Card
Citi recently announced in an email communication that as of January 22, 2017, ThankYou points can no longer be transferred to Virgin America. This comes just a day after the Alaska Airlines and Virgin America merger closed, making this somewhat expected, as the Virgin America Elevate program may be phased out — although that’s still up in the air.
Currently, you can transfer ThankYou points to Virgin America Elevate at a 2:1 rate, making it not the most valuable use of your points. With the loss of Virgin America Elevate as a transfer partner, the Citi ThankYou program will soon have 14 transfer partners, with JetBlue TrueBlue being the most recent addition. However, Virgin America is still a transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards (2:1 ratio when transferring MR points) and Starwood Preferred Guest (1:1 ratio).
The good news about this announcement from Citi is that there’s plenty of notice. If you’ve got a surplus of ThankYou points in you’re account that you’ve been eyeing for a transfer to Virgin America, your last opportunity to do so is January 21, 2017. You can transfer your points from ThankYou point-earning credit cards, such as the Citi Prestige, which comes with a sign-up bonus of 40,000 points after you spend $4,000 in purchases in the first three months.
Featured image courtesy of Justin Sullivan via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.