This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I’m currently in Toulouse, France for this week’s Airbus event and Singapore Airlines A350 delivery. And, if that wasn’t already exciting enough, just last night, a much-anticipated Airbus A380 convoy made its way through a small French town en-route to Toulouse — a once-in-a-lifetime event for many aviation fans. So, of course I got to see it, right? Nope. By the time I got confirmation of the below schedule, it was too late to change my flight. I arrived at TLS just hours after the plane completed its journey to the airport.
Fortunately, you can avoid making the same mistake — you can check the status of the next A380 convoy here, and you can even subscribe for updates.
So, why couldn’t I make it to TLS in time? Here are the flights I took — booked in United economy and upgraded to BusinessFirst with a Global Premier Upgrade:
If I were to leave a day earlier, instead, my best option would have been a lot more expensive — and in coach:
That said, I did manage to catch a glimpse of the Singapore A350 (with 10,000 livery) as soon as I landed in Toulouse:
And, thanks to a very generous reader, you don’t need to miss out on the A380 convoy — even though I didn’t make it to Toulouse in time. TPG reader Arnaud shared his A380 convoy photos, captured a few months ago. The convoy usually passes through the town of Gimont during the late evening hours. The procession Arnaud caught began with an A380 wing.
The trucks carrying these components are both wide and long, so turns are extremely difficult to maneuver, if not impossible. For example, rather than circle the roundabout below, the convoy just drives straight through.
Another wing section followed — these trucks really help put the A380’s size into perspective.
Then, Arnaud caught the horizontal tail plane.
A few minutes later, the nose/cockpit and forward fuselage appeared.
Followed by the center fuselage, covered in tarps.
This really is an entire A380 — carried through French villages on gigantic trucks. An incredible sight!
Last up was the rear fuselage and tailcone.
If you’re heading to Toulouse for an Airbus event scheduled within a day or two of the convoy (like me!), this is a no-brainer, but it could even make sense to make a trip out just to catch the A380 and some Airbus-related attractions, such as the Aeroscopia museum, the Airbus Discovery tour and the Airbus Panoramic tour.
Have you managed to catch an A380 convoy?
All A380 photos by Arnaud B.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards