This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each year as part of its World’s Best Awards survey, Travel + Leisure releases a list of the 100 best hotels in the world (as decided by the travel publication’s readers), with remote resorts — like a five-star eco-friendly resort at the edge of Chile and a faraway luxury fishing lodge in the New Zealand wilderness — being a major trend this year.
As you might expect, these are some of the most unique properties you can book — which means you generally can’t redeem your hotel points for a free stay. Fortunately, the Citi Prestige card offers some relief, in the form of a tremendous 4th Night Free benefit. For example, a one-bedroom villa at the #1 property on the list, Nihiwatu, which is located in Sumba, Indonesia, will run you $650 per night during the low season, plus 11% in taxes ($71) and a 10% service charge ($65). If you book through Citi Prestige, you’ll get the fourth night free, including taxes (but not the service charge). That’ll bring the total cost of a four-night stay down from $3,146 to $2,425.
While the majority of the hotels on the list are smaller, independently owned properties, two points-hotels did make the cut — you can book a stay at Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa in Peru’s Sacred Valley (#74), an SPG Category 5 property priced from 12,000 Starpoints per night, or The St. Regis Bali Resort (#35), an SPG Category 7 property, from 31,500 Starpoints per night (as this particular hotel doesn’t have base rooms). Many of the others listed can also be booked through Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts if you’re an Amex Platinum cardholder.
Despite the potential lucrative benefits when booking through Amex FHR, you’ll still come out ahead with Citi Prestige — the card’s 4th Night Free perk is the most valuable card benefit out there, assuming you like to stay at luxury hotels. TPG Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig got a $1,490 rebate for a four-night stay at Amanpulo in the Philippines, so there’s clearly incredible value to be had. You can also consider booking your stay with the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, which lets you earn 2x points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide.
Featured image of the St. Regis Bali courtesy of the hotel.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees