This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Through the Avios Part Payment program, British Airways allows its members to use Avios to reduce the price of a paid fare. Generally, the rate has yielded a savings of about 1 cent per Avios, but BA has run promotions to raise the redemption rate as high as 2.55 cents for certain deals. A couple of months ago, British Airways temporarily raised the rate to 1.5 cents per Avios, which is a fairly good rate for reducing the cost of a paid fare.
Over the weekend, we were initially excited to see what seemed like improvements to the British Airways Avios Part Payment program. However, while there are some improvements, these changes aren’t anything to get too excited about.
For low-end redemptions, the rate has slightly improved. Instead of having to apply 1,500 Avios to save $15, you only need 1,250 Avios. Don’t go spending all those 250 saved Avios in one place!
Also, you’re able to apply more Avios to a booking than before. Before this weekend’s changes, you could only apply 7,500 Avios to save $75 off a British Airways booking. You can now apply up to 35,000 Avios to a booking in order to save up to $250 off your flight.
Instead of having a set value of 1 cent per Avios for all redemption levels, British Airways has added variable rates at different levels. Unfortunately, the more Avios you redeem, the lower the rate.
|Avios Needed||Discount Received||Redemption Rate
(cents per Avios)
At the maximum 35,000 Avios redemption level, you’ll only save $250 — representing a savings of just 0.71 cents per Avios. This is less than half of TPG’s current valuation of 1.5 cents per Avios.
These changes aren’t anything to get excited about. For those with small Avios balances, you can get a slightly better rate than before the changes. Those with large Avios balances and a lack of decent redemption options might cheer the ability to use more Avios than before — even if it’s at a poor rate. However, most of the revised Avios Part Payment program options now offer a rather poor value.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.