How to Merge Your AAdvantage Accounts Online
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Airlines AAdvantage and US Airways Dividend Miles programs gave ample time and opportunities for people to link their frequent flyer accounts before the US Airways accounts actually migrated to AAdvantage accounts a week or two ago. However, if you are like me, and got too busy or absent minded to do the linking before the accounts were migrated, then your US Airways accounts were simply sent over to American AAdvantage and assigned new AAdvantage numbers.Until now there was no option online to merge AAdvantage and former Dividend Miles accounts online since the US Airways accounts had been moved over, but now that has changed and you can easily merge your two AAdvantage accounts (your original AAdvantage account and your converted US Airways account) online. Of course the names and other pertinent information in the two accounts has to match or they can’t be merged online, but assuming the info lines up, it takes less than a minute and a few clicks of the mouse to help the two accounts become one.
1. Log into the AAdvantage account you wish to keep.
You need to be logged into the AAdvantage account you wish to keep, but make sure to have the other AAdvantage (former US Airways) account number handy as you will need it in a minute. Personally I kept my original AAdvantage account since that is the number I have used for all AAdvantage activity for years.
2. Select the “Merge Accounts” Option.
In your AAdvantage Account Summary there will be an option written in blue to “Merge Accounts”. Select that button while logged into the account you wish to keep.
3. Input the information for the account you want merged into the AAdvantage account you are keeping.
While logged into the AAdvantage account you are keeping, you will enter the AAdvantage account (former US Airways account) that you want merged into your old existing AAdvantage account. Finding that new AAdvantage number should be pretty easy as it will be displayed on AwardWallet.com if you use that site, it was probably emailed to you in late March with the subject line “Welcome to the AAdvantage Program”, and you can simply log in to AAdvantage using your US Airways Dividend Miles number to see the new AAdvantage number that account was assigned. Again, just be sure you are completing the merging from the AAdvantage account you wish to keep.
4. Wait a day or so for the merge to be completed.
If the information in the accounts lined up you will be told via a screen that the merger was successful, as well as be notified via an email to both the account that will be closed/merged and the account that will remain open. The merger itself is not instant, but instead is reported to take about a day. You will be notified again via email when the merger is complete. After that time your miles should all be combined into one account.
You can now use your combined big mileage bonus to book awesome award tickets!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.