Your Next United Complaint Could Score You Free… Booze
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Got a trivial but troublesome problem? In life, you may just have to deal with it, but onboard United flights, voicing your peeve might earn you a drink from a sympathetic flight attendant.
According to leaked internal employee communications, United recently began empowering its flight crew to offer inflight beverage vouchers to compensate customers who experience minor inconveniences onboard but “may not have a lot of time in the airport” to address the issue with ground staff upon landing.
Brian Sumers of Skift, recently tweeted a screenshot from an internal employee communications memo detailing the policy update below:
The policy doesn’t list examples of drink-worthy incidents, but that’s kind of the point: United wants flight attendants to be the judge in situations that call for reparation.
While the formal policy update is new, the behavior is not — at least for some of United’s competitors. Southwest Airlines staff members have been known to be generous with offering additional snacks and the occasional boozy beverage on the down-low when things go sideways mid-air. Meanwhile, American Airlines and Lufthansa allow their flight attendants to offer free airline miles for onboard complaints. And according to TPG‘s million-mile Delta veteran Darren Murph, Delta Air Lines crew members are authorized to offer small tokens, including food and beverage, to make things right without asking for approval from higher-ups.
At the end of the day, many of us have probably been on the receiving end of a little extra TLC from a kindly flight attendant. But it’s always nice to know that United’s policy update formalizes the action for its employees, meaning they won’t get in trouble later on for showing a bit of humanity.
TPG reached out to United to ask if the policy is part of the airline’s core4 compassion training program, but had not heard back as of the time of this post.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees