You’ll finally be able to use points for a hotel stay in the Faroe Islands
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers will soon be able to use their Hilton Honors points on a breathtaking stay in the Faroe Islands.
Hilton is set to open a brand new Hilton Garden Inn in the capital of Tórshavn this coming summer. This opening makes Hilton the first international hotel brand in the northern archipelago. Currently, a majority of the accommodation available in the Faroe Islands is locally owned and operated. Hilton noted this and seems to be conscious of its impact on the local economy.
“The arrival of Hilton Garden Inn to the Faroe Islands is an important example of how careful tourism development can help create a sustainable destination which can be enjoyed by international visitors for generations to come.” said Patrick Fitzgibbon, SVP of Development for the Europe, Middle East and Africa.
The property itself offers endless sea views and its location allows for easy access to the harbor and Tórshavn city center. The property is not yet bookable, but Hilton shared that the property is set to open during summer 2020.
Tórshavn is the capital of the Faroe Islands, but it’s not quite like any other capital in the world. In fact, it’s probably one of the most quaint capitals you’ll ever visit. And to me, that sounds amazing. Just take a look for yourself.
Beyond the city limits, the islands offer unbelievable views and landscapes. To me, the Faroe Islands seem like the perfect combination of Iceland and Norway. Many of those who have visited for themselves have said that the island is incredibly easy to get around on as long as you rent a car.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Faroe Islands (@faroeislands) on
Why is this opening such exciting news? Well, it makes a vacation to the Faroe Islands both more affordable as well as rewarding. Though many people assume the islands are super remote and hard to get to, they’re not that remote.
The 18 islands are located about halfway between Iceland and Norway, and just 200 miles north of Scotland. There’s only a handful of direct routes from destinations including Copenhagen, Paris, Reykjavik, Edinburgh and Bergen. Though seasonally, you can snag direct flights from Barcelona, the Canary Islands, Mallorca, Crete and Malta. Either way, you can typically get to the Faroe Islands from North America with just one stopover.
Based on Google Flights data, those traveling from New York City area airports can generally snag a round-trip ticket for $600 or less. There’s also a lot of options to take an extended layover in destinations such as Reykjavik and Copenhagen.
Featured photo courtesy of Hilton Hotels and Resorts.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.