You Can Soon Travel Around Brooklyn and Queens by Electric Moped
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Wanna weave through rush-hour traffic, but worried that those flimsy little electric scooters look like death traps? Not a bicycle person? Trying to get home as quickly as possible without committing to a four-wheeled rideshare vehicle?
New Yorkers will soon be able to explore an additional mode of app-based rental transportation: electric mopeds.
Brooklyn-based transportation startup Revel announced Wednesday that the company is installing 1,000 mopeds throughout a number of neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens. The shared service vehicles replace 68 beta launch mopeds that were sprinkled across Williamsburg, Greenpoint and Bushwick last summer as part of a nine-month pilot.
What’s the fine print? Revel mopeds are street-legal and have a max speed of 30 mph, but are not permitted on expressways or other high-speed roads and bridges. (You won’t want to try them on the Williamsburg Bridge, nor are you allowed to ride them into Manhattan.) They are safety certified by the US Department of Transportation; registered with the New York Department of Vehicles; and come with third party liability insurance and two helmets per moped (“Choose the one that fits snugly but comfortably,” the service suggests).
Would-be riders who are over 21 years of age can register for the service through the Revel app, which requires a valid standard Class D driver license and a $19 motor vehicle license check. International driver licenses are welcome as well, as long as they come with a clean driving record to match.
Similarly to shared bikes and scooters, verified users will be able to use the app to unlock nearby mopeds and hit the road. For just $1 more, you can even set up foot rests for a second passenger, as long as they’re over the age of 18. Mopeds cost $1 per passenger to unlock, $0.25 a minute to ride, and $0.10 a minute to pause your ride. If you feel shaky about your wheel skills, Revel offers free lessons.
All images courtesy of Revel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees