Amsterdam Will Ban Motor Scooters From Bike Paths in April 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Talks of this change have been in the works since July 2018. However, bikers have been taking issue with motorized scooters for years now, with the number of motor scooters growing from 8,000 to 35,000 in Amsterdam over the last nine years. In a 2015 poll, a reported 56% of people in major Dutch cities found scooters “really annoying.”
However, the bikers versus motor scooterist conflict also reflects a serious safety concern. Last year, 613 people died in traffic accidents in the Netherlands. Notably, it was also the first time the death toll was highest for bikers with 206 — with a quarter of those caused by electric bikes and scooters. With these numbers in mind, Amsterdam’s mayor and the city alderman held open forums with residents to devise a solution. Nearly 4,700 people participated, which led to the eventual decision to implement a ban for April 8, 2019.
The new policy goes as follows: All motor scooters on the A10 motorway will be barred from the already populous bike lanes. Instead, scooters will operate on the main road, and drives will be required to wear a helmet by law.
As the first municipality in the Netherlands to enact a scooter ban, Amsterdam will be preparing the streets in coming months to accommodate the new rules. This will include, among a large-scale awareness campaign, new road signs and temporary markings to clarify where those on scooters need to be on the road. When the actual ban begins, Amsterdam monitors the dynamics of the road from addressing issues with road congestion, speed, safety, the interaction between cars and scooters and more. Anyone who breaks the new rules will be subject to a 95 euro fine.
Featured image by Nisangha via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.