Wizz Air to launch new low-cost airline in Abu Dhabi
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fast-growing Eastern European ultra low-cost airline Wizz Air announced its plans to launch a new airline in Abu Dhabi in 2020. The Hungarian-based airline already has more than 100 aircraft connecting price-conscious passengers across Europe with its numerous bases, including several interesting routes from the U.K. to Norway, Iceland and Portugal, among others.
Wizz selected the United Arab Emirates capital of Abu Dhabi (AUH) as a base for its new airline as part of a joint venture with Abu Dhabi Development Holding Company (ADDH). Wizz will own 49% of the airline and ADDH will have 51%. Together, the airline plans to initially connect passengers from Europe to the Middle East, with future plans to connect passengers onwards to India, Africa and South Asia. The new airline is set to begin operations in 2020, though it’s subject to government approval, including obtaining an Air Operator’s Certificate.
Wizz Air has a low operating cost, both due to its young, fuel-efficient fleet and high-density, single-class cabin configurations. Wizz will use the A321neo aircraft in Abu Dhabi, squeezing 239 seats onto each flight. This aircraft has a range of 4,000 nautical miles, so will provide new destination options. At the Paris Air Show in June, Indigo Partners, the private equity firm that owns part of Wizz Air, among other airlines, announced that it had placed an order for 20 A321XLRs for Wizz.
Though low-cost carriers are not yet as common in Middle East as in Europe, Wizz will become the second low-cost carrier to launch in Abu Dhabi next year alongside Air Arabia Abu Dhabi, a joint venture between Abu Dhabi-based Etihad and low-cost Air Arabia. That airline is set to commence operations between March and June 2020.
Featured image of A Wizz Air Airbus A320 by Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees