This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well, you know what they say: There is no better vantage point to view the chilling effects of a polar vortex than from 36,000 feet in the air.
While the arctic blast sweeps through the Midwest causing temperatures to drop into record lows, those who have been able to catch the odd flight in and out of Chicago have been snapping pictures of the city in its coldest hour from their window seats.
Yesterday was the second coldest day ever recorded in Chicago’s history, reaching temperatures as low as -22 degrees at O’Hare and -24 at Rockford. The brutal weather has caused thousands of flight cancellations so far, and for the people working on the ground during the vortex, the job isn’t easy. Airport employees have resorted to shortening their shifts and wearing extreme outerwear on the tarmac.
The National Weather Service also warned that the air has the potential to be “life-threateningly cold.” So far, eight deaths have been attributed to the vortex.
Aside from the visual of the frosted-over Chicago skyline, passengers have also been posting photos of a frozen Lake Michigan. While a combination of wave action, wind, and heat contained in the lake make it impossible for it to completely freeze over, the subzero temperatures have caused plumes of ‘ice steam’ to rise from the body of water.
As of now, according to Axios, the extreme temperatures are expected to start returning to normal by this afternoon.
Featured image by @DavidPFunk via Twitter.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees