This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well, you know what they say: There is no better vantage point to view the chilling effects of a polar vortex than from 36,000 feet in the air.
While the arctic blast sweeps through the Midwest causing temperatures to drop into record lows, those who have been able to catch the odd flight in and out of Chicago have been snapping pictures of the city in its coldest hour from their window seats.
Yesterday was the second coldest day ever recorded in Chicago’s history, reaching temperatures as low as -22 degrees at O’Hare and -24 at Rockford. The brutal weather has caused thousands of flight cancellations so far, and for the people working on the ground during the vortex, the job isn’t easy. Airport employees have resorted to shortening their shifts and wearing extreme outerwear on the tarmac.
The National Weather Service also warned that the air has the potential to be “life-threateningly cold.” So far, eight deaths have been attributed to the vortex.
Aside from the visual of the frosted-over Chicago skyline, passengers have also been posting photos of a frozen Lake Michigan. While a combination of wave action, wind, and heat contained in the lake make it impossible for it to completely freeze over, the subzero temperatures have caused plumes of ‘ice steam’ to rise from the body of water.
As of now, according to Axios, the extreme temperatures are expected to start returning to normal by this afternoon.
Featured image by @DavidPFunk via Twitter.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees