Looking for a change in scenery? West Virginia will pay remote workers $12,000 to move there
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
States use all sorts of incentives to lure workers. But free whitewater rafting and rock climbing? This might be a first.
West Virginia is using some of its best assets — the world-class outdoor activities found all around The Mountain State — along with $12,000 in cold, hard cash to try and entice some of the remote workforce to relocate.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more travel news!
The Ascend West Virginia program aims to attract digital workers looking to shake up their work-from-home routine and get some fresh air. Program participants will have access to free co-working space in their community, as well as free bike rentals. The website even has a cost-of-living calculator that shows how much further money goes in West Virginia compared to popular metropolitan areas.
Ascend West Virginia is billed as a “long-term talent attraction program.” It will pay approved applicants $12,000 to find a home in one of three West Virginia communities: Morgantown, Lewisburg and Shepherdstown. They will also get a year of free rentals for outdoor activities such as rafting, zip lining, off-road excursions and even golf.
How does it work?
You would get $10,000 in monthly payments during your first year living in West Virginia. At the end of your second year, you would get an additional $2,000 payment. Of course, you have to apply first. It takes about a half-hour to complete the application and the deadline to apply is May 31.
The small print says that the first 50 selectees must live full-time in Morgantown, the college town that’s home to West Virginia University. (Next year, the program will take applicants for Lewisburg and Shepherdstown.) Additionally, you have to live in West Virginia for two consecutive years to get the full $12,000.
Eligible applicants must provide proof of full-time employment and your ability to work remotely, and you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident eligible to work in the U.S. Only out-of-state applicants will be considered, and a background check may be required.
Featured photo by Sean Pavone/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees